Monday, April 20, 2015

A guitar, a bass and a...(And Allen Kanovsky has a party going with Albert Castiglia, AJ Kelly & Kris Schnebelen!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 04/20/15


...drum kit was all it took to shake the walls of the club last night. The instruments were ably assisted by the musicians playing them, namely Albert Castiglia (guitar/vocals), AJ Kelly (bass) and Kris Schnebelen handling the sticks and pedals.There wasn't a seat to be had. The bar was 3 deep with BLUESiacs. 

The opening tune as an uptempo version of "Shake Your Money Maker". The audience is clappin' & tappin'. The trio continued with "Let The Big Dog Eat". Albert gets the chance to show off his pick work and he does. AJ keeps pessing him. Rich is staedy as a rock--'n roller. Albert calls for a moderate tempo and the key of G. It's the BLUES as it should be. A Ronnie Earl hit "I Smell Trouble". Tunes like this make me understand why I love the BLUES. AJ takes a swinging bass solo that grabs my attention. The tip jar is beginning to get the audiences attention. Albert steps off the stage to deliver a left hand only solo. His right hand is busy holding a beer. If you are a BLUESiac like I am, "Searching  The Desert For The BLUES" is your kind of song. Follow that with "Have You No Shame" and you know why Albert has such a strong and loving fan base. A Castiglia original "Put Some Stank On It" has us all in full fun mode. Albert asks if anyone has ever lived on Bad Avenue. The response is almost unanimous. 

Jackie Deering and Denise Shuster have just arrived and we three are on the floor doing what Albert described as a "sandwich dance". "Catch the Next Train South" is a soulful BLUES tune that makes you pay attention to the lyric. Talking about lyrics, Graham Wood Drout wrote both the melody and words to "Just Like Jesus". Albert gives full meaning to both. "Mighty Dollar" makes a social statement. Albert, AJ and Rich have been on the stage for over 2 hours when they conclude the set with "Red House Over Yonder". 

Albert says he likes working at here but reminds us he doesn't work Sundays during the football season. Same for me except I don't work any day, any season---Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter.

Not for nothing but tonite the Miami Jazz Cooperative Rent Party at the Open Stage, Coral Gables. Don't miss an all-time great trombonist Vincent Gardner.



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment