Tuesday, April 14, 2015

All you need to say is...(And all Allen Kanovsky needs to hear is Arts Garage & Latin Jazz, and he is there!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 04/13/15

Afro-Cuban JAZZ and I saddle up and go.

Last night it was to Arts Garage in Delray Beach. The Omar Sosa Quartet. And am I glad I went. Omar on piano/keyboards, Leandro Saint-Hill (sax/flute), Childo Tomas (bass) and Ernesto Simpson playing drums. Wotta band and what music. OOOweee Baby! In Spanish it's "Muy Calor"---very H O T!

The show opened with Chado stepping onto the stage, stomping out rhythms and chanting in "ronga" the language of Mozambique. Next Omar came on to the keyboard to provide some melody. Chado took an electronic thumb piano in hand. Now en espanol another voice was added with Leandro coming out. Finally Ernesto takes his place. The rhythm is definitively African. There is a voice and tone track playing under Omar and Leonardo's soprano sax. The audience is totally enraptured by the music. Slowly the rhythm and the melodic lines change to a Latin beat. Leanardo is now playing alto and we are in solid JAZZ mode. The tune's title was "Mi Conga". The next number was "Iyawo". It started with a soft piano intro then a little flute solo. Little by little the mood and rhythm picked up. BANG! Full-out Afro-Cuban JAZZ. Rockin' to the rhythm. Then we were all put solidly on the ground in Cuba. The beat was 'charanga' to me. Up tempo and making me clap and tap. The title eluded me. Great flute solo. The audience is asked to participate by repeating after Leonardo "cha-cha-cha". Wait a sec. Not the usual 1 2 cha-cha-cha, but rather 1 2 3 cha cha cha. Not easy for a Bronx brat more used to the traditional dance rhythm. A classical piano intro, changing to a slow, traditional ca-cha for the tune "For You". Leonardo does the soneyo. If there is a rhythm known as Afro-Cuban Funk then that was next. I was back in the Apple. 125th & Lenox or maybe 116th & 3d. I could go on and on about the band, the music and the pure pleasure they provided.

I will give you some of the rest of the programs song titles---"A Love Lost". "Sad Meeting", "Dame La Luz" and for an encore Omar and Ernesto did a classical piece, "Muevette en D" (Movement in D). The coordination between the two was incredible. It must have taken hours of practice. Or so I thought. I was told by Omar that they never practiced the piece. They speak the same musical language. On my recommendation, catch this group. Wherever and whenever. It's early. Only 9PM. The only reason to get up early Monday is to write this review.

"Onward Music Listener" To 'toity-toid' for the band Eric and the Jazzers. The joint is packed. Somewhat unusual for Sunday night. Did the crowd know I would be there? No! They were there for this very entertaining and fun band. I'm in time for a little N'awlins. "The Saints Go Marchin' In". Cornelius 'joo-joo' Johnson (reeds), Yami Mustafa (trumpet), Ken Burkhart (keys), Doc Albertson (drums) and Eric himself. I don't know what Eric does outside of announcing and introducing. Barbara Glen is doing the vocals and she has several guests. They do "What A Wonderful World" and "That Old Black Magic". I dance with Denise. Yami does a Chuck Mangione tune and this young 'cat' can blow!. Kenny, as usual, delivers some really good stuff. Joo-joo never disappoints and Doc keeps them all in line and on time. Eric is dancing with his wife. I cut in 'cause they are doing a step tat originated in the cellar clubs of The Bronx. It is known as "The Fish". Eric and I share that heritage. He asked me not to mention it but I can' help but tell that I had to give him a music lesson------and as Clarence Palmer told me and I quote "Al, you don't know sh-t about music!" Eric is a generous host and invited a couple of young men to sit in. Elijah on keys and Brett Charles on a vocal rendition of "A Train". Heck of a night of music.


Stayed late talking with Eric, Doc, Kenny, Joo-joo and Yami. Drove Yami home. Very interesting young man---bright future if he stops smoking.             


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment