Tuesday, June 10, 2014

It was a strange..(if Allen Kanovsky says "strange" and "fun" in the same sentence, we KNOW it is going to be good!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/09/14

...beginning to a really fun night for me. It started with a call from buddy Bill Rutan. Seeking company at BJB's. The clincher was his proclaiming that Denise would be there. She had recovered from a battle with bonchitis and I hadn't danced with her in a while. I arrived, kissed Babette on the cheek, had a sip of my rum and ginger beer when Denise appeared --- on the dance floor. Anthony Corrado was playing "Has Anybody Seen My Gal" on the banjo. Denise was dancing alone. Not alone but rather sans partner. Several other gals had joined her. I wondered whether 'koochie koo' were the words necessary to get all those bottoms up and shaking. 

The feature act had Tim Bluntson (vocals), Valente Cantore (piano), Scott Klarman (tenor/ewi) and Carlos Mendez on drums. It was Tim's wife birthday and so the 'joont' was crowded with well wishers. I danced with Denise to "One Night" and "In A Sentimental Mood" and "Wonderful World". She had to leave and I was somewhat despondent. Not for long. The band had struck up "You Make Me Feel Brand New". A woman at a nearby table extended her arms in my direction. An obvious invitation to dance. The evening was still young and I was thinking of things to come. Not the famous Dizzy Gillespie composition either. Her name is Marvina Campbell and she can dance, having fun with it and an easy 'follower'. She was with her teen-age son and her friend Dr. Nadine Hankerson. I would dance with the Doctor a little later on. 

The 2nd set opened with "Going Out of My Head" and then the James Brown tune. They had brought out the birthday cake and so it was time for the song. Tim sat down next "The Chicken" which became a Jocko Pastorius hit. They brought out the cake and it was time for the birthday song. Tim took a seat next to his wife, took her hands in his and looed deep into her eyes. She responded likewise. He started "Happ----.  stopped and wiped his eyes. Tears brimmed on her eyelids as well. He continued "Happy Birthday To You, Happy birthday, I love you". Don't think for a moment those were tears in my eyes. They invited Carmen Medina to do a duet of "I'm Happy" with Tim. Martine & Jacques were in the house and immediately took to the floor. "All Night Long" done to a salsa rhythm. Marvina and I joined Martine & Jacques on the floor. "T" Hatcher (bass guitar) joins the group. He is out of Pittsburgh and so pronounced my name right the very first time. "T" sings "Let's Get It On"  and I dance a little funk with Dr. Hankerson. Another dancing pal of mine, Mark, has arrived with his girl friend, Elizabeth. Mark makes you believe that 'white boys' can dance. 

Three gal singers join Tim for the rest of the evening. I danced, sang along when I could remember the lyric and had a heck of a good time. I left with the last note of the night lingering in the air. Although I seldom set my nights activities before 5:30, I know I'll be at the OPEN STAGE in Coral Gables tonight. Latin JAZZ and Ms. Jackie Deering will be there. note: Dr. Hankerson is on a noble mission to revive the supper club lifestyle and the JAZZ of by gone times. I think it is an ambitious project and worthy of public support. I have volunteered to help.   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment