Tuesday, June 24, 2014

It had been about...(Is there an emergency number out there that someone can give Allen Kanvosky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/24/14

...71 hours since I heard any live music. I started to suffer the symptoms of withdrawal. Nausea, sweats followed by chills, runny nose and muscle pain. Emergency room? Nah! Man up!! Now depression set in. I consulted myself. What a mind! The solution: call Jimmy Belize and head for the Funky Biscuit in Boca. The Monday Night BLUES Jam and the $5 Hamburger Special would ease my angst. Jimmy would come with Nurse Nancy. I had invited Denise (dance partner) and Patty with Rick to come and enjoy with us. We all enjoyed and I had my BLUES fix. 

The house band had Mark Telesca (BLUES Dragon) out front doing vocals and playing bass. With him was Colin James (B3/keys), Anthony Lombardi (drums), George Alan Gibbs (guitar). The band opens with Mark singing "Heavy Breathing On the Other Side" which has me, my friends and everyone else in the house tappin' & clappin'. Funk shows up when they do "Don't Need Your Loving Any More". It's Patty and Mike's first time and I ask if it was good for them. They shake their heads in approval. Drew Preston (guitar) joins the group when they do "Why Do You Treat Me The Way You Treat Me" and delivers another outstanding solo. Now it's Colin's turn to show off when they do "Stand My Ground". Mark reaches deep into the BLUES for "Give Up Living" to end the set.

The Beer Brothers trio takes the stage. Sadly I didn't get their names but they did get my attention. A BLUES ballad "Won't You Say You Love Me Too" opened their set. The drummer vocalized "The Way We Used To Be" which put me on Memory Lane. 

And now the Jam is on. Kelmo (bass), Bob Grabowski (tenor sax), Anthony Steele (guitar), Steve (tenor sax), Tony (B3), Ms. Manon (keys) and Eric (violin) will all participate and contribute to this grooving Jam. It started with Drew doing "Locked In the Prison of Love" and Bob doing a Bluesy solo. Kelmo is driving the beat on bass and the drummer is pushing them along as well. Tony and Drew's solos are 5 star. Personnel on stage keeps changing giving everyone a chance to display their chops. Steve (tenor sax)  has me remembering the Honkers and Bar Walkers of the 50's. WOW. Bob is not outdone when he sings "Make A Man Out Of Me."

The night continued with BLUES, funk, a little R&R. Just good music being played by all. Pauline got up to sing "Stormy Monday". Rockin' Jake (harp) is in the house and on the stage. Jamie 'King' Colton comes in and they don't even give him a chance to hold hands with the lovely Jennifer, before they have him up on the B3. Jake does a couple including "Hootchy Kootchie Man." Anthony Steele (guitar) is up there as well and has me paying close attention. Jamie is doing some scatting along with his play and when asked whether he sings to his playing or vice versa, after some thought replied "sing to my playing." Good answer. 

Last up is a young man who has been patiently waiting since 8:30. It is now a little past midnight. Max plays acoustic and does "Rock Me" Charlie Gaspar is now on bass. Jamie stays and so does Anthony Steele. Max can play and Anthony takes it to another level. I am now content. The $5 hamburger has reconstituted my failing health. The Jam has restored my inner self. Music soothes the savage beast. It also makes me "FEEL SO GOOD."

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment