Thursday, June 5, 2014

I almost didn't... ( Allen Kanovsky recites, then dances)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/05/14

...hear any music last night. Almost. I needed to satisfy my poetic muse and ego by attending a poetry recital at BACA Pompano. Drew Tucker, Education Director at Arts Garage, has undertaken a new and additional project. The goal is to provide local artists a venue to either show or perform their respective art. Last night about 15 poets recited some of their works. They were accompanied by Doug (keyborads) and his son (drums). The subjects ran from 'being gay' to 'being thug'. From lust to love and all in between. Some comic, some tragic. Rap, rhyme and free verse. Religion and rough sex. There was even tap-dance and music (aside from rap). the twins, Rashad and Tashad Hiregardener did a couple that they will perform on one of TV's contestant show later this month., If you paid attention, you would have learned some lessons. I had arrived early and so I was first up. I don't know whether they liked my stuff or it was in deference to my age, but they gave me an encore performance to close the show. It was a little after eleven o'clock. If I hurried I could catch the last abbreviated set at BJB's. Debbie Orta with husband Mike on bass guitar, brother-in-law Mike at the piano and Danny Burger playing drums. The crowd had thinned out but my pal Marc was there with his blonde gal pal and I spied Mike's fiance Luz Marina Salazar seated at a table. I promptly joined her because I knew I would have the opportunity to ask her to dance. Debbie was just starting the Arlen/Harburg tune "Old Devil Moon". It gave her a shot at displaying her scat 'chops'. Job well done. She let the band do an instrumental and joined Luz and I. The trio played "Invitation" It is funny how that tunes title eludes us all.  Nick and Mike took turns and then Danny 'blew' the drums up. When Debbie returned to the stage to sing "'S Wonderful" I took advantage of the swing rhythm and had Luz on the dance floor. Brazil has its place in the JAZZ world and the quartet did a very tasty version of the samba "Someone". They closed the evening with a rousing "All of Me". 

I waited until the 2d chorus to invite Luz back on to the floor. You have heard of the movement to "save energy". 

That did it for me. Thanked them all for the music. Kissed Luz and Debbie on the cheek, shook hands with Danny, Mike and Nicky. Stopped to chat with Steve the bartender (he scuba dives too) and then on home. 

Tonight I will go to church. Specifically the Coral Gables Congregational Church where the Community Arts Program will present the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra (Patron Tickets Have SOLD OUT - General Tickets Still Available.     

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment