Sunday, June 8, 2014

A "band" of brothers...(Allen Kanovsky gets banded?) DCA class graduates...with class...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/08/14

...made up of the graduating class of the Dillard Center For the Arts (DCA). They are of different races, religions and even sexes. Yet they are bonded together as if they share the same Mom and Dad. This is a very talented group. They have been finalists in the last 3 Essentially Ellington competitions, winning once and gathering numerous individual awards. Last night I was privileged to be invited to a graduation party hosted by Susan and Mike Stocker. They are the parents of Ben who is a recipient of a scholarship at Michigan State University. The youngsters there to celebrate and Jam as well included Max Boiko (trumpet2013), Christian Cummings (Sax2015), Sydney Henry (drums2015), Donovan Perry (Trumpet2015), Chris Mills (bass2014), Kim Morton (trombone2014), Ulysses McClover (piano 2015), Christian Dorsey (trumpet2014), Jared Golden (sax 2014), Brad Miller (bass), Carla Robinson(piano2014), Zachary McKinney (drums2014),Charlie Steiner (drums2014), a young lady, Taylor (trombone), 2 guitarists whose names I know but I am having a deep (read old man) moment and am sorry. Home for the summer and joining in on alto sax was an adopted grandson, Patrick Bartley, now studying at the Manhattan School. Steve Scott was there giving advice and encouragement. 

Oh, the Howells. Junior playing alto and senior frying up fish all night long. Moms & Dads. Aunts and uncles. Sisters, brothers, friends enjoying lots of home-made food like ribs  chicken, pulled pork, tomato/corn salad. mac 'n cheese, dirty rice, black beans, fresh fruit, on & on. Of course cakes. cookies, salsa, chips and assorted beverages. All of the youngsters played. Jamming and having fun doing it. They started playing at 5:30PM and didn't wrap it up 'til way past 10---no breaks, some switching positions but blowing all the way. I spoke with a few of the parents and was happy to see how proud they are of their progeny. 

I would be remiss if I didn't say something about Mr. Chris Dorsey, Director at DCA. He not only teaches these youngsters music. He shapes their futures with his guidance about life itself. I give credit to all these youngsters for all the hard work they due to achieve their goals. A lot of their dedication comes from the inspiration provided by Mr. Dorsey and the sacrifices of their parents.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment