Thursday, January 17, 2013

What a world! What a world! - and Al traverses it...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 1/17/13

About 72 hours ago I was present when a JAZZ saxophonist, Turk Mauro, played his retirement gig at Art Garage. Last night I was at the Fish House in Kendall listening to 19 year old David Leon (alto/soprano sax) play a professional (paying) job with a slew of aspiring JAZZ musicians. The host trio included Jake Shapiro (organ) and Daniel Higuera (drums). Sitting in the second set were Max Boiko (trumpet), Ms. Kelly Gonzalez (trumpet), Jonathan Gomez (Tenor), Matt Burchard (Tenor), Thomas Dover (Trombone), Brad Miller (bass), Charlie Steiner (drums) and Jonah Udall (guitar). Please note that all of them are students and all but one 20 or younger. I have heard David, Max, Kelly and Charlie at other venues and they continue to impress. I stayed 'til the very last note faded into the night. Being me and not prone to keeping my mouth shut I spoke to a couple of the youngsters to let them know that shorts are not acceptable attire at performances except in the Keys or Hamptons. Jonah is entertaining to watch as he mouths his riffs and rises on tip-toe to emphasize certain notes. Art's Garage is new to the JAZZ/BLUES scene, The Fish House has been presenting both of these genres (one and the same to me) hosted by BLUES legend Papa Joe for a number of years.

It is sad to see any musician take leave from playing. It is heartening to hear youngsters continuing to play the music that was born in the good old U.S.A.
"What a world! What a world!" is a quote from "The Wizard of OZ". It is also how I look at it. Sunday night I listened to Turk who goes way back, Wednesday afternoon I listened to Felipe LaMoglia and Dave Seigel, who represented the JAZZ which is being played today. That same evening I heard the JAZZ greats of the future. Tonight I will be listening to BLUES, BLUES and more BLUES at the Riverside Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale (Las Olas Blues Festival). Like the Wicked Witch said--"What a---------. 

~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

1 comment :

  1. You must be exhausted. Don't forget, Nico Wayne Toussant is @ Fish House Saturday. Also, Lisanne Lyons is replacing Maria Rivas Sunday @ BJB. Maria is in Venezuela with some health issues.

    ReplyDelete