Saturday, April 6, 2013

I am not----and Al means it!


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/6/13


It's Friday night. It's cold and damp. I am worn out from the long hours I've been keeping of late. I am gonna stay home. I am not---repeat NOT going out. I am going to pick some favorite CDs and put the player on shuffle and read a book. Yep! That's what I am going to do. My intentions were righteous. It got darker and colder outside. The Funky Biscuit's Biscuit Fest was continuing. You can have one guess as to what happened next.-----You're right.---- I got there in time for the "Bad Apple Band" and their 2d line rhythmic march into the Biscuit.

Up first on stage was Rockin' Jake(harp) and a band made up of George Porter Jr.(bass/vocals), Billy Iuso(guitar/vocals), Jamie Newitt(drums) and James Wuest(B3/keys). They made me really glad that I came. They started the set and got the joint jumpin' with Billy singing "G-d Make Me Funky" and ran straight through 5 or 6 songs with no break in sound. Changing tempos and keys flawlessly. Maurice Dukes sat in at drums, mid-set. The big guy has a flair for the skins. 
I was seated at the small bar at the far end of the room. It's my favorite spot. Why? Well, originally, I thought the sound (Ray's expertise) was great and I could see the band. It wasn't either of those things. A pretty gal (feminists read "attractive woman") got up to dance to the music. She was close by. FLASH!!!.

You have to know that the way some women move when they dance draws attention from men. Especially real men. Her name is Lauren Busch Singer. She has an important job. And she can move. From now on I am not going to follow bands around. I am choosing to follow women who dance. I say that with the greatest respect and admiration for the women I have known and have yet to meet.

If we are going to talk about dancing the listen up. As Rockin' Jake was finishing his set I noticed that they were removing all the tables and chairs. I had never seen them do that on my previous visits. When the "Heavy Pets" started their set it became apparent. Everyone in the joint, except me, were up and shakin' "it". This is a swinging, rocking Jam band that gets you moving from the very first note they play. I didn't get up off the bar stool but believe you me I was moving. The band members are Jeff Lloyd and Mike Garelli(Guitars), Tony D'Amato(bass), Jamie Newitt(drums) and Jim Wuest(keys/vocals/B3). George Porter Jr. and Marcus Dukes joined in. Along the line Jamie Newitt got up to do an unusual vocal version of gut bucket bass and rap. It made me aware that will always be ways that musicians create new sounds.

The Biscuit Fest continues thru Sunday. I got in the car with the Real Tracy Fields. She brought our departed friend, Donald Byrd along and he was kind enough to bring "Janine". Great ride home. All the way thinking of my new diversion path. I think it might prove worthwhile. Watching girls dance, I mean. If I offend "feminists" by the use of the word "girl" it was not meant in any degrading sense. Instead it is said with the love of all women in my heart. My Mom, Sadye, two sisters, Florence and Muriel, my first wife, Flo, second wife Rose, the mother of my children, the same Flo, my beautiful cousin Sandra who made me aware of the difference when I was about 5, were all "girls". If you want to know about my love and respect for women in the world---join that group.

Tonight Arts Garage and the Texas Gypsys.

Note to Upset Feminists: Complaints are accepted only when presented in person. CU   al k   

Video clips, to inspire your attendance:





 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment