Wednesday, September 24, 2014

One of the rewards of...(Hey Allen Kanovsky! We think just SEEING Nicole at JAZZIZ is a reward in itself!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 09/24/14

...my nightly jaunts into the world of live music is watching an artist grow. One of those is Ms. Nicole Henry. If I remember correctly, the first time I heard her was 7 years ago at the VanDyke on Lincoln Rd. in Miami Beach. I remember Mike Orta being on piano, Dave Chiverton on drums and James McCoy playing bass.The mother of my children,Flo, had come back into my life. She shared my love of music and we both marveled at the talent that Nicole displayed. We followed her career as the years went by and often had the opportunity to see her perform at the JAZZ venues in New York. These included 2 consecutive yearly appearances at the "Cabaret Awards" at Lincoln Center. Unfortunately Flo has passed and the Van Dyke has closed. Fortunately Nicole's career has continued to grow, including winning the 'Soul Train Award'. 

Last night I had a front row table to listen to Nicole at JAZZiz Nightlife in Boca Raton. The club is a JAZZ palace. No more elaborate venue for JAZZ in the world and a most suitable site for Nicole's appearance. With Nicole were Pete Wallace on keys, Eric England on bass, Aaron Lebos(guitar) and Nat Stokes at the kit.  Nicole not only has stage presence, she is a presence on stage. Tall, in great physical condition and absolutely gorgeous. Excuse my enthusiasm. I have a thing for tall women. Her program started with "On the Street Where You Live". From her first vocal note I knew I was in for a great night of music. Nicole loves to sing songs of love and her patter is included in that passion. Her next song was "Falling In Love With Love" and the band finds the groove. "God Bless the Child" follows and Nicole gives the lyric full meaning. It is a reminder that Gospel is at the roots of JAZZ and BLUES. Nicole is dressed in a bright yellow dress. She makes sure to let us know she will not brook any "Big Yellow Bird" jokes. With just Pete behind her on piano she sings the first chorus of "Crazy In Love Am I". When Aaron, Nat, and Eric join in they are definitely in the mood. Time for a little 'funk' with "Love Potion #9". It is 100% funky with Pete and Aaron keeping it right there. Nicole adds a little more with a taste of Patti LaBelle's "Voulez Vous Couchez Avec Moi" Changing genre, Nicole elects to do Elton John's "Sorry Is the Hardest Word" followed by a heart breaker "I Don't Want To Wait In Vain"' There are tears clouding my eyes. Yeah real men cry (at times). Ms. Henry now does the award winner "C C Rider". Nicole is swinging and Aaron plays BLUES like were at The FunkyBiscuit. Eric and Nat are infected as well. Pete is banging it out with his eyes closed and you know what that means. In her early years, Nicole was influenced by Aretha Franklin. She does the song that tells a great story of a strong woman, "Running Out Of Fools". I am sipping a Pinot Grigio and getting the message. It is followed by John Scott's beautiful love tale "I'd Do Anything For You". No vocalists set would be complete without a Latin beat or Cole Porter tune. "You Do Something To Me" is the selection and it is perfect. Nat's Dad, Vincent joins me during the break and tells me how proud he is of Nat earning his Masters Degree in music. 

The 2d set is a repeat of the 1st but I am not disappointed. There are always nuances and inflections that make it pleasurable. Shelly Mann once said "JAZZ musicians never play the same thing----once". I stayed until the last note faded away. Thank you Nicole for another wonderful evening of music. Thank you Eric and Aaron and Pete and Nat. Thank you JAZZiz for supporting live music and letting audiences know to STFU. Although they use much politer terminology. 

I get the chance to see Nicole again Sunday nite at the New Smyrna Beach JAZZFestival. I think I'll ask Debby and Charlie to join me. If they can get there on time! 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment