Friday, September 19, 2014

A tall blond...(And we are NOT talking about Allen Kanovsky here...)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 09/18/14

...resplendent in bright red silk pants with a sequins top is singing 'cabaret' with all the familiar American songbook standards. An older, grizzled guy walks into the joint and the gal responds by doing her vocals with JAZZ in mind. The gal, Ms. Glenda Grainger accompanied on piano by Mr. Gary Lawrence. The geezer? Why me, of course. I am actually here to catch Maria Rivas at Danny Burger's Wednesday Showcase. I often come early to listen to Glenda. In the period before Maria came to the stage Glenda did 14 tunes. Ms. Grainger is easy to listen to and does take requests. I don't think there's a title that she doesn't have in her play book. Which, by the way, must weigh almost as much as I do---and that's a considerable amount. Isabel and brother Jim are in the house seated with Stan and Carl. I'm joined by Renee & Joyce(Arts Garage), Dr. Jules, his pal from Brazil George and friend John. Bill Rutan is here as well as my dance partner Denise. Jerry Moscola strolls in. Paulie Cohen and Paul Shewchuk are at the bar with Donna Blue and Babette. Miguel Chacon (bass) is in the house. He goes way back with Maria. Along with Danny (the brushmeister) Burger (drums) are Brian Murphy playing piano and Dr. Jaimie Ousley on the skinny bass. Maria jumps right in, opening with an up tempo "I'm Beginning To See The Light". She doesn't hesitate as she scats the second chorus with that accent espanol. "Quiet Nights & Quiet Stars" has her scat lines done in Portugese. At least it sounds like that to me. Brian is, as usual, brilliant. A funky rhythm background for "My Funny Valentine" makes it almost a BLUES. Brian quotes "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" during his solo. Martine & Jacques(the dancing duo) arrive in time to catch "It Don't Mean A Thing" during which Danny tears the house down. Maria has been putting everything she has into everything she's done and takes a brief break. The trio is doing an instrumental. I recognize the melody but can't quite get the name. I ask Doctor Jules. He says" Caravan". I tell him no way. It comes to me in a flash--"You Stepped Out Of A dream" I inform the good Doctor. He says "It don't sound like it to me". I tell him "That is why they call it JAZZ".
Maria returns to do "The Very Thought Of You" Denise and I show-off a little. "Poco Poco" is a very romantic ballad/bolero. Martine and Jacques intensify the mood. Solos by Jaimie and Brian magnify it even further. During the break, George, John and I, talk about the history and connection of BLUES and JAZZ. All of us agreeing that the BLUES are the roots. To open the second set Maria pays homage to people of the Jewish faith and their contribution to American music and does "Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen". To show my beliefs are strong I am up with Denise doing some "Lindy" steps. I am also praying that He doesn't stop my heart mid-dance. Maria really shows her JAZZ chops with"You Don't Know What Love Is". Her scat portion is memorable. When Maria sings Bossa Nova tunes she puts you on the streets of Rio. "Fotografia" is one of those bossas that make you want to get on a plane. Just to make sure we don't ever forget them, Maria does the Beatles "Come Together". Dr. Jules says he likes her version better. Noone does "Besame Mucho" like Maria. 'Kiss me my darling and tell me you'll always be mine' Jacques and I switch partners and it is fun. Maria, as she often does, dedicates "Lush Life" to me and Miguel. Not because we drink, rather we enjoy life, fill it up and make it seem lush. Danny does what only he can do with brushes, cymbals and drum heads. The last set opens with "Autumn Leaves". Great solos by Jaimie and Brian along with a dynamite scat vocal. I spy Piano Bob at the bar. Maria invites Miguel up to sit in on bass as she sings "Catalan" another very romantic bolero. In stark contrast, the next tune is done in that funky/latin frame. "Our Love Is Here To Stay". Whenever they play that song I say to myself that it is sad how often that line is said and how infrequently it is true. The evening closes with Maria singing her heart out and Danny being incredible on the brushwork--"Skylark".

I say goodnight to all the musicians and staff.  "Hi Tracy."  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment