Thursday, September 18, 2014

It is a difficult task...(Enjoying JP Soars gypsy jazz at The Funky Biscuit doesn't sound too difficult, Allen Kanvosky!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 09/18/14 

...to travel in 'space'. You need training, a space suit and a rocket ship. Time travel is a lot easier. You head to The Funky Biscuit to listen to JP Soars and the "Gypsy Blue Acoustic Revue". J.P. along with Steve Lucinda (guitar), Mark Telasca (Bass), Chris Peet (drums), Scott Ankrom (Tenor Sax/clarinet) and Chaim Rubinov (trumpet w/ every mute known to mankind) took us back in time to the era of the Charelston and Django Reinhardt. They brought us back to the present with some original J.P. compositions. We listened to tunes from Django, Muddy Waters and Rev. Gary Davis. Each and every musician on that stage is a master of their instrument. Mark surprised by playing upright bass(and reading a chart). Steve and J.P. are rhythmic and melodic Siamese twins. Chris 'drove the bus' and both Chaim and Scott played with the sensitivity and verve that is always present in the Gypsy genre.  The program opened with Django's "Swing 42". The trip into the past was easy and old memories were there for me. Solos all around, followed by 8's, just like in days gone by. The next tune was another Django favorite "Minor Swing". This tune was the "Mustang Sally" of its time. Chaim played a super upper register solo. Scott's talent is obvious as his use of triplets add the Hungarian spice so prevalent in Gypsy music. The tempo and mood changes with J.P.'s original composition "Viper". It is a dark bluesy melody. A late night tale of a really bad woman. Chaim employs another mute for his solo. Back to Django with "Douze Ambient" which would mellow out a raging bull. An American standard of the era "I'll See You In My Dreams" is done in a nice, easy swing tempo with J.P. and Steve featured. Watching the two of them, seated side by side and playing with such joy is a listeners delight. Scott switches to tenor with Chaim using his plunger mute as the band jumps the BLUES. A newly discovered old time guitar tune "Guitar Rhumbo" is a favorite of Steve's. It is done to a rhumba rhythm and gets Betty R. up and dancing in the aisle. She is looking good having lost a little weight and wearing a bright red dress. A little later on Betty and I did it----dance I mean. Chaim and Scott are not unfamiliar with Latin rhythms and deliver clave driven solos. The 2d set opens with a slow drag "St. Louis Woman" in Gypsy style. Piano Bob and his gal Mary are in the house sitting with Nick Trill. I am with Nancy and Jimmy Belize. Nancy is practicing her guitar strokes just below Jimmy's heart surgery scar. The rest of the program had some 'down-home, Charelston, Gypsy, Latin funk and soul. We all were havin' a ball. Piano Bob and Nick Trill sat in on the closing number "Find My Baby, Tell Her I'm Not Coming Home". J.P. has them all bring it down real low as he and Steve do a guitar duet. It is an old BLUES guy and a young BLUES musician playing for us and each other. Great!!! A closing line of the BLUES tune says "Barbie Doll, baby, Got to let you go. Nothin' on your mind, but stage, screen and radio". I readily admit I knew a couple of gals like that. Didn't last long enough to remember their names!!!!  

Got into my short (old hipster jargon for automobile) turned on the radio and the Real Tracy Fields completed my time traveling with Dizzy's "Dizzy Atmosphere" 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment