Friday, September 26, 2014

Oh The Night Time Is The Right Time To Be...(At The Fish House! Right, Allen Kanovsky?)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 09/26/14

...out listening to JAZZ & BLUES. Live and in living color. If friends are celebrating birthdays it's even better. Elaine (African Odyssey) and Ezio (Le Chat Noir) were doing that last night. Music, birthday cake and lots of gals to hug. It really doesn't get much better. 

I ventured forth, first stopping for flowers and a birthday card for Elaine. Ezio would have to settle for a handshake. On the road, I received a phone call from our esteemed publisher. He let me know to expect a delivery of a new Panama Hat from a guy named Willy. The delivery would be made at my destination, The Fish House in Kendall. Also, I would be paying for the hat. 60 banannas. To just to establish the pecking order. I wear $3 caps. Okay--I know! The MUSIC. Thursday is the official BLUES jam night at The Fish House. Angela (the owner) greets me with a real hug. Georgine greets me with a big hug and a peck on the cheek. Elaine greets me with a big hug and a kiss on the lips. She learned that on our Cuba trip last December. On the bandstand; Motel Mel (organ/vocal/melodian), Darrell Raines (guitar/vocals), George Caldwell (bass), Robin Roberts (drums), Bill Clark (Latin percussion/harp) and the amazing Michael Wayne(flugel horn/tenor sax/keyboard/vocals). During the 2d set the Jammers included Miss Kelly Gonzalez(trumpet), Keenan(soprano sax), Marc Suarez (guitar), Ben Carter (guitar), Rudy (drums), and Sebastian (guitar). They ran the entire litany of BLUES titles from "Swet Home Chicago" to "I Just Want To Be Your Lover Man". "I Love the Life I Live" to "Born Under A Bad Sign". 

One of my table mates was Tony Prinzi who like me is a JAZZophile/BLUESiac. During one of the the rockin' BLUES tunes a couple danced in a confined space. Lourdes and Pedro Ignacio. Shakin' it up. Seated nearby and enjoying the show was my buddy Bill, his daughter, son Robert with his bride Gabriella all enjoying the music. I couldn't leave without getting in at least one dance. Georgine obliged me and it was fun. I'm beginning to like that gal a little more, each time we meet. I invited her along for the New Smyrna Beach JAZZ Festival. She demurely declined. I must lose some weight or color my hair or something. 

Off to Le Chat Noir and Ezio's birthday. Thursday night. Eddy Balzola (Oriente) hosts a JAZZ jam and lots of the local musicians show up. As I arrived Silvano Monasterios was just leaving (sorry I missed him). Down into the cellar to be greeted by Felipe LaMoglia (tenor sax), Eddy (guitar), Jaui Schneider (piano), Yoel Del Sol (congas), Ray Perez(bongos), Kai Sanchez (bass) and I didn't get the drummers name. I walked in just as they started to play "Softly As In the Morning Sunrise", followed by "Grooving High". Ray got up to sing "Cocovado". We both jokingly agreed he needs a little practice. Afterwards we sat around trading musical war stories about the BIZ. I would go on but I've got to get on the road. 

Oh! One thing. This weekend The Fish House has a BLUES Festival on Saturday and JAZZ Festival on Sunday. They are both charity events and start at 4PM.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


1 comment :