Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Nouveaux Honkies Release “TNH Live at Sun”

#JazzBluesFlorida #jazz #blues #Florida #Concerts #Festivals #Clubs

The Nouveaux Honkies Release “TNH Live at Sun”
By: Leo Gale

The Nouveaux Honkies have announced the release of their latest CD on Bluzpik Rekerdz, “TNH Live at Sun”, which was recorded at world famous Sun Studios in Memphis, TN on February 6, 2009. Executive Producer Jim Nestor remarked “This CD is another step in the band’s progression of their forward marching attitude towards being ready to perform anywhere, anytime. These tunes were created in one of the most hallowed halls of musical creativity in the history of recorded music”.

I had an opportunity to sit down with guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Tim O’Donnell recently to speak to him about the new release.

LG-Tim, thanks for taking the time to sit down with me, I know you're a busy guy these days.
TO-Thanks for taking the time to listen to what’s going on in Honkyville.

LG-How did this project come about?
TO-We had a tour in Feb 09 that took us through the Southeast. The previous two years we competed in the International Blues Challenge in Memphis and in 09 we wanted to be there but didn't want to be in the competition. So with the help of Dennis Brooks and others that we met in Memphis the previous years, we got some gigs on Beale Street so we could stay in touch with the folks we met the year before and show them we are still out doing what we do. While we were in Memphis we realized we were playing at night so I said, “Hey man lets record at Sun, lets go in like men and record a live album”, and the band was hip to it so we went in and set up and played some rockin’ roll for an hour and got some songs I thought were cool out of it. I also knew it was the right thing to do because I got horribly sick the day we left on tour and I believe that good things don't come easy. We even mention that dirty devil getting a hold of me in a song we sung on the spot called “Memphis Bound”.

LG-What did it feel like recording at Sun Studios surrounded by all that history and the pictures of Elvis looking down on you?
TO-At first as with any session I got nervous. We got all our sounds and levels and I realized we aren't fixing mistakes so I better play good. We played a Junior Parker song called "Feelin Good" to warm up. The engineer was setting levels and didn't record but got excited and came out of the control room. That made us excited and then I took a final look at all the pics on the wall and thought about all the cats that had been through there. I ran out to the truck and jotted down some lyrics for the song "Memphis Bound" that came to mind and rushed back in and started rollin'.

LG-What is your favorite cut on the CD and why?
TO-I have to say "Mystery Train" is the cut I like. It is probably because up into that point when we played that song live I always felt it was so busy and frantic when we did it. I decided to do the intro like the original Junior Parker version from back in 53'. I think it maybe threw the band for a loop and everyone really listened and didn't overplay. I like music that is simple. We did one take of that song and I knew it was a good one. I could feel it syncopate right. I was playing some half Floyd Murphy/Danny Gatton riff and Beck ran down this trippy Scotty Moore thing with tinges of Junior Parker harp lines. Mike just played straight solid 2 and Phil laid down a clicky train beat and when it came together it just felt nice and everything sat in its own place with nobody stepping on anyone else.

LG-What does the near future look like for the band? What tours are coming up this summer and what is the next project for TNH in the studio?
TO-The future looks really swell. The band gets tighter and more focused every show. We just did Sunfest in South Florida and Stringbreak in Brooksville. We run all the way up to Maine this summer and are doing Rhythm and Roots in R.I., Rodeo Bar in NYC,NY (my birth place and home to lots of rowdy friends), Greenwood Blues Cruise and South Florida International Blues Festival. We also look forward to all the other stops along the way and seeing all the folks we have previously met when we are out on the road. I can't wait to see some of the bands we are playing with like Jerry Douglas, Asleep at the Wheel, the Duhks, Hot Tuna, Joe Bonamassa, and tons of others on these shows. I also feel the band is carving out a more focused niche and crossing over into some other listening audiences. I love to be on the road. The band is officially 3 years old this summer and we are just getting started. I don't like to look ahead too far on tours because the tour in July when we hit the road again is to go put on the best and most entertaining show we are capable of for that tour. I like to take it on a day by day basis. We get up and get ready and do our best that day. We want to make music that makes people feel something, not put music out there that makes people feel nothing at all. We have been recording loads of songs in our home studio and arranging for our next full length album and I have been collaborating with some guys that have some great stuff as well. There isn't any shortage of music for us to play. I ultimately think the future holds what we put into it. We sit on our butts and we get butt or we go out and honk till it is the honk heard round the world. The only thing that can stop us is ourselves.


The Nouveaux Honkies will be performing the new CD, “TNH Live at Sun” live in its entirety at the following CD Release Shows:
5/26-Bostons on the Beach-Delray Beach
5/29-The Wave Lounge-Stuart
6/1-The Lucky Pig Lounge @ Bubbalous-Orlando
6/5-Van Dyke Café-Miami Beach
6/7-Earls Hideaway-Sebastian
6/12-Rosey Baby-Lauderhill

tnhband.com
bluzpik.com


POSTED BY:
Jazz Blues Florida.com
www.JazzBluesFlorida.com
.

No comments :

Post a Comment