Thursday, September 18, 2014

There are nights...(And this night was the night for IKO IKO at the Funky Biscuit!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 09/18/14 (but written 9/15/14)

...and then there are nights you will never forget. Last night was one of those. It started at the Funky Biscuit. The event, a competition to determine who would represent the South Florida Blues Society in Memphis for the International Blues Festival title. The Biscuit was shoulder to shoulder with musicians and fans. Lots of people I know and plenty I have yet to meet. I was sitting with Jimmy Belize, Nancy and Dave (cat in the hat). You could feel the excitement in the room as Mark Telasca took the stage with Robert Alan Gibbs(guitar) and Anthony Liboti (drums). They would warm up the audience with "Where the Southern Meets the Dog", "Stand My Ground", "If I Ever Become President" and "Going Down To the Crossroads". They did their job, but truth be told, this audience was hot before the first note was ever played. The first contending band was Marty Stokes & the Captiva Band. Marty on guitar/vocals, Jennifer Mazzioti (tenor sax), Darryl Best(bass) and  Doug Jefferson on drums. Their program consisted of all Marty original tunes. They included "Don't Stay Because Of Me", "Late Night Story", "Glad To See You Back In Town"  and "Can't Let You Leave". Jennifer's tenor sax solos were what made this band stand out. Next up was local favorite Graham Drout and "Iko-Iko". The first time I heard this band was shortly after Flo arrived in Florida. It was at a dive called "The Back Room" where all the BLUES bands played. Sadly both Flo and the Back Room are gone. Iko-Iko has Jimmy(dynamic)Daniels on drums, Mitch Mestal (bass), Ron Taylor(keys/B3) and the non-pareil Good Rockin' Johnny Wenzel on lead guitar. Graham handles the vocals. They open with "High and Dry" and follow with "The Day the Old Man Died". Ron delivers with his B3 solo and Johnny does the same with his guitar. The bands 'sound' is just great. "Baby, Please Come Home To Me" has Ron & Johnny continuing their excellent performances and now Jimmy joins with some 'dynamic' drum work. They conclude their portion with "Where the Ghosts of Mississippi Meet the Gods of Africa". Everyone in the audience stands and applauds. Long and loud. If you want pure entertainment there is probably nothing better tha Otis Cadillac and the Eldorados. First you must understand that Otis Cadillac is not a person but a made up character. The band was originally put together as a put-on for a show at Bostons on Famous Franks birthday. "Otis" in real life is Joe Fodera. Please don't tell you heard it from me.  Their continued success is due to the talent they all have. Bobby Goldman on bass, Walter Alvin(drums), Susan Rivera(b3/keys), Doug Treen (tenor sax), Niles (Red Beans) Blaize (harp/trumpet) and Dan Newman (guitar). The Seville Sisters are sisters in name only. The vary in race, creed, height and vocal range. Names are for stage use only---Holly-Holly, Kat Riggins, Honey Cuddles and Moran Levi. Otis counts it off and awaaaaayyyy weeeee GO! Everyone is clappin', tappin' and in general having a damn good time. I'm having such a fun time I stop taking notes, sit back and enjoy. I did take the time to note Kat Riggins accapello solo of "Because He's Not For Me". When Kat started the song, the room was full of chatter. The last twenty or so bars had the audience in complete silence. Holly-Holly sang one as well---girls do draw my attention---during which Niles takes a really nice trumpet solo. Dan Newman can play guitar and showed it thru-out. They close with "You'll Be Surprised Now" and it can't be all friends and family that provide the thunderous applause. It is all up to the Judges. Mark Telasca returns with Robert Alan Gibbs and Jimmy (dynamic) Daniels to fill in the interlude with the BLUES tune "Someday Somebody Gonna Hurt You Like You Hurt Me". The suspense is ended when the award, well deserved, is given to Iko-Iko. There can be no argument. 

Hey----it's only 9PM. Off to 33d St. and some salsa and Latin rhythms. My pal Bill Rutan has called to tell me Maria Rivas is there to listen to Jessi Campo and her Latin Band. I find the booth where Bill and Maria are seated and am in time for the start of the 2d set. I am in for a clave-filled treat. With Jessi are Miguel Chacon (bass), Ivan Velasquez (drums), Manuel Gomez (piano), Robin Lauro Unlos (congas/percussion) and the unforgettable Puig Ligo playing trumpet. During the break a group of 'gringas' arrives and find seats near Bill, Maria and me. One of those is wearing a brief but becoming outfit. Maria sketches her on a note pad and gives her the signed copy. Puig gets a chance to show-off when the set opens with Jessi singing "All the Things You Are". Jessi composes as well and she does her original "Tu Eres"--(You Are) a lovely bolero. Next, "Sabor A Me"--(Tasty To Me). Uh-oh. Here we go. Unmitigated and uncontrolled salsa, a medley of Night & Day, Summertime and Besame Mucho. Pok--pokpok--pokpok. You can't keep chubby old me in my seat. Two young women and I mean young are seated with 2 guys. If you've been around as long as I have you instinctively know if the guys aren't dancing with the girls it's because the y can't. Not the girls, the guys. I ask one to dance and she accepts. She is Sandy Ozlen and is married to Mr. Ozlen. He's the one scowling at me. I hold Sandy at a respectful distance and the look softens somewhat. I ask her friend during the next tune. Her name is Juana Drago, A Latina. She is not married to the guy she's with and she does dance. When asked why they're not married he replies, among other things, that she talks to much. I think that's the title of an old Louis Jordan tune. Jessi sings a lovely ballad "I Want To Love Again" which is from a long ago film, "Diary Of A Mad Black Woman". When she does "Masquerade" she invites Maria up to sing some. When Maria sings en Espanol it touches my special romantic spot. Puig and Maria exchange 4s with Maria using her scat talents. Jessi is the only one who can salsify "My Funny Valentine" and get away with it. I dance with Maria and love it. Ms. Campo and the band close with the Beatles "Yesterdays" also with clave as the base rhythm. Buenos Noches mi Amigas. Hasta Manana!


p.s. Maria did a notebook sketch of Jessi and gave it to me. I will treasure it as I do of every moment of years past.         

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment