Thursday, May 9, 2013

Tip for guys who like girls. From the big tipper himself, Allen Kanovsky....


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 5/9/13

Take it easy ladies!!! I'm talking about girls who sing. If you weren't there at Gold Coast JAZZ's presentation of Divas you should have been. There are girls. There are women. There are girls and women who sing. Then there are women who sing their hearts out. Last night Wendy Pedersen and Paulette Dozier just did that. They sang to an appreciative audience amongst whom were Ted Grossman (Night Train WLRN), Lisanne  Lyons (Mad Romance), Rick Katz (Miami JAZZ Co-op) Jaime Ousley(bass) with Nanami Harakawi(JAZZ vocalist) and me. The Gold Coast JAZZ Society Band provided the back-up. Steve Ahern (leader/trumpet), Mark Marineau (piano), Lennie Steinberg (drums) and Don Coffman (bass).

The ladies opened the set with a duet of "Summertime"--lovely. Then Wendy continued solo. The program was called "By Request" and all songs were just that. Her first 'by request' song was "If I Were A Bell". Wendy has the perfect personality for this song. She followed with "Go To My Head", "Look Of Love" and a really swinging "Caravan". Then Jim Gasior sat down at the piano.The two of them together are  like the toppings on a banana split. "It Could Happen To You", "What Is This Thing", and "I'll Be Seeing You"  done in an unforgettable, imaginative way. The band returned to the stage to finish the set with "Skylark."

After the break, the band did a musical interlude and then Paulette returned to the stage. A gardenia in her hair and a magnificent white gown. I told her to order two dozen of them and never wear anything else. Oh, I forgot to tell you my real gig is "fashion consultant to the stars". Paulette swung right into "Route 66" and then captured my heart with "Days of Wine and Roses". "Let's Fall In Love" was followed by my favorite Billie Holiday novelty "Fun Out Of Life". Paulette continued the 'by request program' with a tune written for her, "In Walked You". Then "Night and Day" and a jumping "Bye Bye Blackbird". Wendy returned to the stage and the did a lovely duet of "Unforgettable". Lenny Steinberg counted it off and they broke into a joyful "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy". Yeah, the crowd was tappin' 'n clappin' and left with a "Happy Face."

Still in time to catch the return of Turk Mauro to the JAZZ scene. Last set at BJB's. Turk, Tom McCormick(tenor), Mike Orta (piano), Nicky Orta (bass) and Danny Burger (drums). Listening in was Barbara Vann and Mike's gorgeous friend, Luz. I'm glad I made it. Great way to end an evening of listening to JAZZ. Turk did a real good job on "Going To Chicago Blues" with Jon Hendricks's intro. Writing this from N.Y. Will report on tomorrows opening events of Essentially Ellington.

p.s. I am still reveling in Paulette's portrayal of Billie Holiday in the last weeks of her tragic life.   


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment