Sunday, May 19, 2013

for a good time... (we all know, really, that you just need to call Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 5/19/13

...get on the computer, check out the music listings at JAZZ&BLUESflorida.com. Select the location and artist. Call a pal, have some happy hour sushi, an icy cold drink, served by a good looking Cambodian miss, you are on your way. If you selected Arts Garage for your music and Salt7 for happy hour in Delray it puts you closer to the end result. Last night at Salt7 I ran into Bolton (managing partner) at JAZZiz Nightlife and talked about solving the chatter problem at that JAZZ palace. Then on to Arts Garage. The BLUES band for the night was Doug Deming(guitar/vocals), Dennis Gruenling(harp), Andrew Gohman(bass) and at the drum set, Devin Neel.

While I was waiting for the doors to open an attractive woman approached(refer to the title of this piece) unfortunately, she wasn't interested in me, rather she was inquiring after the well being of my astute publisher, Charlie Boyer. At that point, further disappointment, her husband showed up. They are Misti and Doug and go way back with Charlie. Things start looking up again when I get to my assigned table. There are three good-looking people already seated there. A couple, Sylvia and Steven Michael(Chicago) and a woman, unaccompanied, Ms. Rebecca Samuels. I am far and away the eldest and ugliest at the table. It seems that happens more and more often these days.

The music started and right off the bat you know you selected well. The band has its roots deep into the R&B era of Louis Jordan. If you like clappin' and tappin' this was the place to be. The first set included 2 L.J tunes, "Don't Roll Those Bloodshot Eyes At Me" and "Saturday Night Fish Fry". It got funky with their original "A Pretty Girl, A Cadillac and Some Money BLUES". "Eye For An Eye" brought you back to the days of double entendre lyrics. Dennis' solos on harp were exceptional. His use of the mic had you hearing growling trombones, soft saxophones and wah-wah muted trumpets. Really a cool experience. While playing the wind-up tune of the first set they quoted Dizzy Gillespies "Salt Peanuts". It caught me by surprise and brought me upright in my seat. JAZZ is rooted in the BLUES. Is BLUES now finding some of it roots in Be-bop?

During the first set, I couldn't help but notice a woman seated at an adjacent table. She seemed to be enjoying the music, knew the lyrics to the songs and bopped, animatedly, in her seat. She was blond, cute and was sitting with a very pretty brunette. I overcame my shy nature (?????) and walked over to her.
"I noticed that you are really having a good time", and introduced myself. "I would like to mention that in my "blog". Would you mind". She responded, "I wouldn't mind at all". I handed her pen and paper, so that she could write her name down. Claudia-----Deming, Doug's wife and the pretty brunette was their daughter, Samantha(med school). I learned at an early age that if you want to speak or dance with a musicians wife---girl friend---daughter, it is best to do it during a set and then get out of town before that set concludes. Not in this case. Doug is soft-spoken and easy to talk with. I asked the BLUES question about favorite lyric. He said it was an easy answer. "I'm gonna murder my baby" Why? He said, "Because it was true. Pat Hare sang the song, murdered his wife and died in prison." I've got to find out more about that tale.

The 2d set was even better than the first. The band appreciated the listening audience that Arts Garage attracts and they responded by putting it all on the line. Andrew Gohman originally played guitar but wanted to join the band. Doug told him a spot at bass might open. Andrew started on bass only 2 years ago. He has mastered both the upright and electric. I told Devin that he looked like the youngest in the band. He said "No way" but revealed nothing further. The set had some more originals including "The Rev" and one dedicated to Samantha, "Momma Didn't Raise No Fool". One of my old time favorites "Third Degree" has dynamite lyrics----"been 'ccused of forgery. I can't even write my name". They did "I want you to be my baby" and closed with a swinging "Goodnight Baby" that included some Count Basie "1 O'clock Jump" riffs.  

I got what I was looking for. A good time. Remember what I said at the beginning. For a good time-------A heads up, 2 weeks hence, at Arts Garage  Aaron Lebos. If you want to hear JAZZ's future this will be your opportunity.     

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment