Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Every cloud has a silver lining in 4/4 time...and it NEVER rains on Al's parade...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 3/5/13

Parked outside of PAX in Miami in anticipation of listening to Brian Lynch and his band on Monday night. It was 8:30pm but the gate was closed. Waited until 8:45. Gate still in same condition. Called PAX---answering machine---tried 10 minutes later---same result---now really craving "The Sound of Music."

I got back in the car and headed north to The Funky Biscuit, where I knew Albert Poliak was holding his Monday nite Jam. A word about Albert. He is the "B" man. I have seen him in several roles at the Biscuit. These include, but are not limited to the following---bus boy, bar back, bowl cleaner, Balladeer(vocalist starts with v), boss, B3 player and last but not least B--l buster. Uh-oh, there's that voice in my head again. "the music dummy, this is about the music."  Oh yeah, the music. Monday night is the traditional Jam night. The house band has Albert at keys and Hammond B3, Brothers Ron and John Tillman on guitar and vocals, Kenny on bass and I'm sorry I never got the drummers name. I had been "bummed out" but now at the Friendly---er… I mean Funky Biscuit---no I mean "Friendly" Biscuit, I was starting to feel more myself. The staff is friendly, the audience is friendly and in general the atmosphere is the same.

The opening set ran the gamut of BLUES. Funky, soul, down home, and today. I couldn't help but hear the Allman Brothers influence in Ron's playing and vocals. I asked him about it and was told that he had started listening to them when he was 10 and practiced hundreds of hours playing along. I had joined a guy named Russ at his table and was glad I did. Although not as old as I, Russ was well versed in the history of JAZZ and BLUES and shared his knowledge with me. I told you it is the Friendly. After a short break a band of young players whose stage name is "Kingdoms & Crowns" came up. Stratis Washburn fronted the group playing guitar and doing the vocals. Backing him were Sean O'neil, Vien Washburn and Michael Murphy. I will research who played what later. The band played all original tunes and I was impressed by their musicianship and refreshing approach. They have been friends since their high school days at Monarch High. I am sure you will hear about them in the years to come. Albert returned to the stage with Rockin' Jake on harp and vocals, Jake's band mate Maurice Dukes at the drum kit, the young and very talented J.L. Fulks on guitar and vocals and the aforementioned Ron Tillman. They got me doing the proverbial tappin' and clappin' and not leaving 'til the last note faded away. Talking about fading away.

None of that happens with the sound system at the "Biscuit". I'm not a sound system critic, but I visit a lot of music venues and the one at this one can only be called "superior" It is designed and maintained by sound engineer Ray Rivand. His design allows customers at the bar to converse and provides great quality sound no matter where else you sit in the entire joint. Up front, along the side, at the auxiliary bar, way back in the raised section. You can hear and enjoy the quality of the sound.

Happy 40th Birthday to Derek, the cook, who serves up a great Gumbo and all that other stuff. A gentle reminder of the Dillard Center for their Arts, "Denim and Diamonds Gala" Friday nite. Music provided by the students(you gotta hear these kids) of Dillard Center for the Arts. I'll be there. Come by and say "Hi."

~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment