Tuesday, March 19, 2013

only music can cure the BLUES...even if it is the BLUES


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 3/19/13

It's Monday, and I know half the world has got the BLUES. There is only one sure-fire cure and that's music. Twi-light comes and there's that nasty not quite rain in the air. It only adds to the funk I'm in. I definitely need to seek and find the remedy. It's there waiting for me at Blue Jeans Blues. (I was going to go the Funky Biscuit but budgetary constraints---gas money--got in the way). BJB's had Rita Wilburn with Mitch Goldstein at the Hammond, Danny Burger (drums) and Jeff Prine playing guitar. Just the sight of Rita made me start feeling better. A couple of glasses of wine, an onion soup and some soul-bending vocals and I was on the way to full recovery. Her performance can only be described as "better than chicken fried in bacon grease". That line is lifted from an old "boogie-woogie" song recorded by the Ray Mckinley band and titled "Down the Road Apiece" a thousand years ago. My BLUES fix is in place and so I head home. I am waylaid by the sounds of guitar, bass and drums wafting from Fishtales across the street. My music "jones" pulls me into the bar. Three young cats are on stage, Alex Mallet(guitar/vocals), Kyle Egan(drums) and Rob Sherber(bass). They call themselves "TELL'M'. Playing rockin' style BLUES they added a dose of good listening to my recovery. I promised myself I would keep this review -short-sweet and simple---C.U.
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment