Wednesday, April 30, 2014

JAZZ Appreciation Month (But, as Allen Kanovsky knows and shows, you can love it every day!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 04/30/14

Today marks the end of JAZZ Appreciation Month. J A M. I haven't been out as much as usual and so have no music to review. In place of my usual drivel, I'd like to share a piece I wrote a couple of years ago.
And All That JAZZ
Allen Kanovsky (all rights reserved)
I've been hanging out, listening to JAZZ since way back in the day
In hip joints, clip joints and even get a grip joints.
Coast to coast and even abroad.
Europe, Asia Central and Sur America.

They share a commonality whereever that may be.
The acoustics generally suck, the bartenders should be driving trucks
The only thing that keeps you coming back is the music
and all that JAZZ

Talk "Dixie", "Swing", "Blues", "Bop" and "Fusion"
Saxophones, Trombones, Trumpets, Pianos, Bass, Drums and Guitars
Duos. Trios and sometimes Quartets, Quintets, Sextets, Septets even Octets
and all that JAZZ

Open that door, blindfolded, I mean worldwide. You will find the bar or tables
or mens room. They look alike and most of the time they smell alike.
You're not here for the ambience. You're here for the music
and all that JAZZ

There's an exotic tone to a soprano sax, an almost sexy tone to the tenors and
trumpets joining in with alacrity. The rhythm section-bass. piano, drums and guitar,
sometimes match your heartbeat.
Where did it start? Who started it? When? Why?
No one cares except historians. All of us are here for the music
and All That JAZZ

Written for and dedicated to all the JAZZ musicians who have filled my life with music...

*Editor's Note* Today is also International Jazz Day as well, and it being celebrated in Al's area. Here is the info we have on it:
" UNESCO designated April 30th as a day to celebrate jazz and it is celebrated all over the world. So why not in Miami as well? Join us at any time after noon on Wednesday April 30th. Live in the Cellar at Le Chat Noir a venue that will transport you and take you back to the real jazz age! "
Facebook event at: https://www.facebook.com/events/763272900363001/ 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment