Sunday, March 29, 2015

Most of the time...(...and yesterday was time well spent for Allen Kanovsky at Mess O' Blues, BBQ & Brews Festival!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/29/15

...if you are a BLUESiac listening to good BLUES it's late at night and the joint you're in is as dark as it is outside. The difference being it generally smells better outside. 

Yesterday presented a completely different listening environment. Outdoors on a glorious South Florida afternoon. 7 or 8 food carts and trucks sending the aroma of B.B.Q. into the soft March breeze. Mess O' Blues, BBQ & Brews presented four of the best BLUES bands visiting from the Bayou (Larry Garner Band), Chicago (Zora Young backed by Little Mike & The Tornadoes), from Kansas City (Grand Marquis), and from Memphis (The Ghost Town Blues Band). I had a front row seat, --- bring your own chair --- next to Piano Bob and Patricia Reybold. The audience was a mixture of people a lot younger than me, people somewhat younger than me, people almost as old as me, and me--far and away the oldest one there. Alyona Ushe, CEO and Suzanne Holtermann, Marketing Director, for BaCA are there as well of loads of BLUES lovers.    
                  
Larry Garner and his band out of Louisiana opened the show with some standards and a few originals. (Guitar - Jared Daigle,   Bass - Shedrick  Nellon, Drums - Karl Beaudreau.) Readers know that generally I like to give the playlists. I could not adjust the brightness on my DROID and so note taking was impossible---result no notes---. No names of tunes. Just good listening to exceptional musicians all afternoon. From the bayou to Texas, Chicago to the Crossroads,  Memphis to NOLA. All of the bands that performed displayed versatility to all the variations of the BLUES. Grand Marquis is fronted by Bryan Redmond. He does the fun filled vocals as well as playing all the saxes--bari, tenor, alto and soprano. Alongside is Chad Boydston on trumpet providing hi-lights and soaring solos. Ryan Wurtz, lead guitar which is indispensable to any BLUES band. Ben Roth, stand-up bass and occasional Sousaphone. Lisa McKenzie is the driving force on drums. Included in their playlist (result of research) were "Bed of Nails", "Reputation", "Blues and Trouble" and "The Jungle". I thought I was having a good time with Larry Garner--this upped the ante. Now I doubled down with Little Mike and The Tornadoes. Rusty Zinn (newest member, drums), Brad Vickers (bass) Tony O (lead guitar) and Little Mike playing harp and singing the lyrics. They would have "The Princess of the BLUES, Zora Young, featured during their portion of the show. Sorry no play list. All I can say is BLUES like it’s meant to be played, sung and listened to do. They played a long set and every second provided pleasure for the ever growing audience.  Off to one side a gal was shaking it a bit. She was tall---you know me and tall woman. Being my shy self I addressed her, "Pardon me, miss". She looked me straight in the eye--"Yes?". "Don't want to seem rude but I find tall women attractive" "Thank you" and she starts to turn away. "Pardon me, miss, I am not done". "Oh". "I also like blonds". "Really" Again she starts to turn. "Miss, There's something else". Facing me once more, I say "I also like pretty faces" Allow me to say that the next step or two might involve might involve the purchase of a ring or a trip. She gave me her name-----G.D. Droid lost in my notes!!!!. Coming on stage is The Ghost Town Band out of Memphis. The Beale Street influence is evident in the way this band of excellent musicians plays the BLUES. Matt Isbell (guitar) leads with Preston McEven on drums, Jeremy Powell (keyboard),  Suavo Jones (vocals), Josh Roberts (bass) and Marque Boyd (trombone and crowd pleaser). This is a straight-ahead, no nonsense but fun loving BLUES band. Every single of the 12 to 13 hundred member audience was bobbing their heads and applauding with approval. The sun was setting on a wondrous day of music at the Pompano Beach Mess O’ BLUES, BBQ and Brews. 

Congratulations on a great inaugural event. Good wishes for more to come. 

Headed for a usual haunt. First person I saw when I walked in was Ricky Pinters (keyboards) sitting at the bar. We always kid about a $5 debt---which way the owing continues to be a question --- I whisper in his ear, "If you don't pay me my five bucks I will---I don't get a chance to finish---"Al' and he turns to crush me in his massive arms. I get my elbow down just in time to save the stitches from my recent surgery from being torn open. We laugh and joke and renew an old friendship. I want to stay but there's a $5 cover. It is insulting to me. I support live musicians and the memory of the others. Outside of a few club owners who respect the musicians who play their joints I do not support club owners. If they asked for $5 in the tip jar I would personally contribute and be glad to walk around with the bucket. In addition --$5-- in today's money it is a negligible amount ---are there any $2 hookers anymore? From now on I will review the musicians who play there, but there will be no more mention of the club name or location. 


Off to the Q Bar and Rockin' Jake. You can count on Jake for an honest and true BLUES performance. Jake plays harp and does vocals. With him are Anton LaPlume (guitar/vocals), Brett Crook (drums) and Cleveland Fredericks on bass. I stayed for a dark beer, shrimp and grits, coffee and 2 sets of BLUES-BLUES-BLUES. I made note of the playlist but it's getting late. Rockin' Jake promised to introduce me to his Mom if I showed up at the Biscuit Fest (The Funky Biscuit). Here I go--shower, shave, fresh shirt, maybe even socks----any questions?    


Rockin' Jake at Q-Bar


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment