Wednesday, October 23, 2013

It's that time of the month...(when Allan Kanovsky's wallet is as empty as his gas tank...you would think this guy could get a cultural grant or something!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/23/13

...when economics start to have an affect on my decisions. Filling up the car becomes painful. 


Trips to Kendall or Lake Worth must be put off until dates earlier in the month. And then there's the Havana JAZZ Festival that has yet to be paid for in full. Andrew Jackson has become a stranger. Great concert at Miami-Dade College. Latin JAZZ in Lake Worth. Is it like it says in the song? "Tuesday's just as bad." HECK NO!!! There's Timpano on Las Olas. Less than 10 miles. Less than 1/2 gallon of gas. Happy hour and a lounge menu. Live JAZZ starts at 6 and goes 'til 10. Best of all---Noreena Downey, Jaui Schneider, Tom McCormick and George Mazzeone. As Bill Sheldon once said, "Wotta band."

If you read my disclaimer(at the bottom) you know I don't promote. I support live music and venues that provide it. That said, I unabashedly recommend Tuesday night with Noreena at Timpano for an evening of good JAZZ listening.


Ms. Downey flat out "swings" in every sense of the word. Her rendition of standards and originals is flawless, done with appropriate feeling and finished with imaginative closings. I arrived just before "happy hour" was over and the band was taking the stage for the 2d set. They open with "No Moon At All" a JAZZ standard which starts me clappin' and tappin'. Tom's solo takes me back to the era of swing. I mentioned once before that a painting of Frank Sinatra dominates the room. I notice that the painter has made it, so that no matter where you are in the lounge, Ol' Blue Eyes is staring right at you. When I was a kid, there was a novelty store on 6th Avenue between 45th and 46th. In the window was a portrait of Jesus. The eyes did the same thing. Sometimes I would spend 15 or 20 minutes in front of that window trying to avoid His gaze. There was no escape. Noreena helped me avoid Franks eyes when she jumped "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby". They slow it down with "You've Changed". George is using brushes tastefully and Noreena is putting her whole heart into the lyric. I wonder if the word 'enraptured' would accurately describe my feelings. Noreena steps off stage and the trio continues with a Latin instrumental. Jaui is in his element and it shows. Tom's solo is illustrative of his being a quintessential JAZZ musician and George does an intricately constructed solo. The boys continue with Freddy Hubbard's "Joy Spring" in 3/4 waltz time. Noreena does a little dance off stage. She returns with a soulful "Summertime". Tom solos followed by Jaui. During Jaui's solo the bands dinner order is placed on their table. He cuts his solo short and directs Noreena to go to the closing chorus. She scats the final few bars.  It is a 3 way battle. Man vs. Music vs. Food. --------Food wins.

The trio opens with a Latin rhythmed "Bluesette". During his solo, Tom plays some very creative figures. Noreena takes the mic to do "Good Morning Heartache". She doesn't do Billie Holiday. She sings it like Noreena Downey. All her and in her own way. The rhythm section plays softly under her and it becomes an exceptional performance. Now it is time for a little be-bop. A super up-tempo "This Can't Be Love" provides the impetus for Noreena's scatting and Tom's triplet laden solo. I can hardly stay in my seat. The "chick singer" has exhausted herself so the band continues without her. They do a Jaui Schneider composition titled "Gruvolo" with Tom again providing inspiration. Lena Horne, a thousand years ago, made a hit of "Come Rain Or Come Shine". Once again Noreena made the song "her" own with Jaui and Tom contributing 5* solos. They do a Noreena composition called "Where Is Romance". It is kind of about today's world and where has romance disappeared to. She continues with "Skylark" which is her favorite lyric. My favorite line from that song says  "there's a meadow in the mist where someone waits to be kissed". Nooooo, I am neither sweet nor cute. Noreena sings it, like it is her favorite. An afro rhythm and beat fills the room. I am trying to figure out the chord changes---"Night In Tunisia"? "Caravan?" Tom is noodling melody. George is tom-tomming native beats. Jaui is coursing through some African tinged chords. With all that going on, Ms. Downey steps forward and starts to sing.--------"All Or Nothing At All"--------I have heard that tune ten thousand times, done a hundred different ways, but never like this. The song ended the show. "Just In Time". Another chorus and I would be at the mercy of EMS. Close to home and now close to my heart. Thank you Timpano for supporting live music. Thank you, Noreena, Tom, Jaui and George for all the work you've done to be the artists you are. 
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

1 comment :