Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Monday----JAZZ or BLUES...(...or both, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/04/15

Monday has become a day of deep concern. JAZZ, the Miami JAZZ Co-op Rent Party. BLUES, in Boca. Head south. Point north. Decisions. Decisions. Friends call. Where? Call me later. Tick-tock-tick. Time marches on. Hunger starts its inevitable influence.

Boca has a $6 (used to be$5) hamburger special that can satisfy 2 BLUESiacs. The Open Stage has made to order empanadas. I don't review food. Although I will admit that I probably know more about food than I do about music. Niles (red beans) Blaize is the deciding factor. Mark Telesca, host of the Jam has him as the featured guest. So it's the Boca and it turns out to be a great decision.\

Mark on bass, Drew Preston (guitar), Tom Regis (keys/B3) and Anthony Livotti on drums. Before Niles came on there were 2 tunes. "What's Going Down" and "Life Is Hard" Drew does the vocal on the latter and delivers a more than 5* guitar solo. I will definitely pay more attention to Drew in the future. Mark is inspired and his solo ain't bad either. The tune is done to a slow BLUES drag and one of the lyric lines is "Everyone has their own cross to bear". Talk about truth in music. Niles steps up and so does the pace. Red beans gets the joint jumping with "Worried About You Baby" (you better worry 'bout me).

A surprise follows. When was the last time you heard a BLUES group do "Take Five"? How about never. Until last night. Tough changes, unusual rhythm. They did it and did it good. Drew was outstanding and Niles harp solo was unadulterated JAZZ. Tom Regis is as versatile a player as you could hope to meet. Genre is just another word to Tom. BLUES, JAZZ, Latin, fusion, rock. It makes no difference to Tom. He plays it all with intent.

They close the set with "My Babe" and everyone in the joint is clappin' and tappin'. Now the Jam is on. Famous Frank Ward (guitar). Rich Goldman (bass), Piano Bob (B3), Raul Valdez (drums) and away we go. "Big Fun On the Bayou", "Turn Your Lamps Down Low" with Niles doing a 'wawa' harp solo.

I am having a natural ball and enjoying the hamburger special. I will not say more about the food. My promotion of the $5 special induced the kitchen to raise the price to $6. The regular price on the menu is $11. It's worth it at either price. Say no more---A they might make it $7.

Another player now takes over on the B3 for a couple including "Take Me To the Mardi Gras" and "C'est La Vie". Dave Morgan joins Famous Frank and Bob ????? from Brazil takes over at the keys. Joe Fodora (Otis Cadillac) is sitting with me and is impressed with the newcomer.

The joint is shaking, rocking and rolling when Clay Goldstein (harp) steps up to join in. Frank does "They Call Him Mr. Dollar". The beautiful Ms. Kat Riggins is always a pleasure to hear (and see). She does a BlUESy "I Love You". Man O' man. Ben Berger joins in on bass. Piano Bob back on B3 as Dave sings "Walking With My Baby". Clay is still on stage when Susan (Otis Cadillac band) sits down at the keyboard. They do "Rte 66" to an up-tempo boogie beat. Susan shows a remarkable right hand with her solo. Clay does "I Can Not Lose the BLUES and I Can Not Save My Soul". Emotion, emotion. Kat takes the mic to do "Pride & Joy" in F minor. The perfect key for Kat's voice. Otis joins Kat for "Why Don't You Show Me". One line says "I'm gonna pack my 'rags' and go". Susan moves over to B3 when Jessica Spears steps up to do "Let The Good Times Roll". Everyone is back on stage for a BLUES medley with all taken an instrumental or vocal solo.

I had made an excellent choice. Dave Morgan was playing an unusual looking guitar. The instrument is as old as I am having been made in 1931. A National Duolian. (See photo below). While saying 'G'night' Rockin' Jake appeared out of the mist. Why didn't he join the jam? "Night off".


Sirius XM radio "The 40's" Woody Herman's "Bijou".  Me and the '95'.




Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment