Thursday, August 20, 2015

A triple header celebration...(And Allen Kanovsky's season hasn't even started yet!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/20/15

...happened last night on 'toity-toid' in Ft. Lauderdale. It took place at Danny Burger’s Showcase.

Celebrations included Joe Donato's birthday, Joe & Kathleen's anniversary and my being alive. Lots of friends, plenty of musicians and warm greetings all around. My buddy Bill was there when I arrived already 2 deep in vodka martinis. He was enjoying Glenda Grainger and Gary Lawrence as Glenda sing 'cabaret' and therefor Bill knows the words to all her tunes. Friend Isabel and her brother Jim came in. Babette seated herself behind me. Joe's friends Joel and Steve showed up. The band has Brian Murphy at the K.B., Matt Bonneli on the upright bass, Danny (brushmeister) Burger at the kit. Joe Donato plays alto, bent soprano, piccolo and ?vocals?. Jack Siegel (trumpet), Hank Greedenberg (T-bone) and Keanu (saxes) are all in the house. The music started with Joe quoting Diz. "No Blues, No JAZZ" He has written a BLUES lyric which talks about the music and the club we are in. Brian can play the BLUES. Matt can play the BLUES. Danny keeps them in & on time. It is Joe and Kathleen's anniversary and so Joe does Cole Porter's "I Love You". He invites his bride to the stage to sing a lovely "Skylark" to which Brian contributes an emotional solo. "Lullaby of Birdland" has Joe on piccolo and it swings. Hank & Jack are invited up and deliver on an exciting "If I Were A Bell". The joint is jumping and Keanu steps up to lead them into "Moanin", with everybody joining in and blowing the walls down. It is a JAM!!!! 

Joe asks Danny to call the tune. "I'll Remember April". Danny's solo tells all you need to know about why he picked that song. Jack added a boppin' solo as well to end the set. "Send In the Clowns" is the 2nd set opener. A parody of "Pennies From Heaven"----Benny's From Heaven is sung by Joe. He has the voice for it. The first time I heard that parody was in October 1947 when I had a band in B.S Pully's Pump Room on Washington Ave. in South Beach.

Kathleen returned to the stage to sing "Once Upon A Summertime" and "You Better Do Right". Kathleen follows with a very romantic "Moon River" with Brian completing the mood. Joe plays soprano and alto simultaneously for "Chattanooga Cho-Choo". Ronny Brooks is invited to sit in on drums. When asked what he would like to play, he says "Any Bossa". Okay. We get "Desifinado" and from Black Orpheus "Day In the Life of A Fool". I forgot to mention my pal Bette Forman. She is sitting alongside me. Bette claps, taps, and shakes her shoulders to every tune. She loves music and it shows. She is a volunteer at Arts Garage & really digs sushi. Hal Rowland is next at keyboards and vox with "Just the Way You Look tonight", "Just In Time" and "Light My Fire". Joe sings an odd song about Leo the lion. Every musician in the joint is up for "A Train" wit Keanu playing soprano. Swing, swing, swing. Brian does some ragtime a little barrel house and some straight ahead JAZZ. That ended the set. My back was starting to hurt and my head was beginning to buzz. Best to head home. As I was leaving Joe was dedicating a tune to Babette. "Sophisticated Lady". Appropriate!

Thanks to all my friends for the good wishes and support. Special thanks to Martine & Jacques for initiating a campaign for replacement. (More info on this HERE.)


Next week I am scheduled to be a judge at a harmonica (harp) competition at the Bradfordville BLUES Club. Should be fun. 
(More info on this HERE.)

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment