Monday, January 12, 2015

I had made up my mind...(That's ok, Allen Kanovsky - you know we don't mind!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 01/12/15

...but as often happens, events of the evening caused a change of plans. It was Latin night at BJB's. I have been a salsiot since the Palladium days. More importantly it was Babette's %#th birthday celebration. My intent was to go to the party. Drink a little. Eat somewhat more. Pay attention to the other guests and stuff like that. I was not going to write a review.  As is often said "The best laid plans of mice & men". 

The band was to be Ranses Colon Latin Group. Only, Ranses was nowhere insight. In his place was Mike Rivera on bass. Mike played about 7 notes and my attention was now on the band and the 'muica'. Paul Bobot (drums), Jose Olivera (sax), Manuel Gomez(piano), Jesus Mantina (congas/vocals) and the lovely Ms. Luz Angela Jiminez handling the vocal chores. The opening tune was Tito Puentes "Oye Como Va". It is something that was deeply imbedded in my 'yout'. Clave rules as the play "Fly Me to the Moon". Like to dance Bossa Nova? You would have loved "Girl From Ipanema. Jose's saxophone solos are lifting the whole band and Mike responds. Denise is in the house and we dance a few. All kinds of food for Babettes party is on the tables. Dips, crudites, shrimp, corn dogs & pizza. The majority of guests are women and they dip in with gusto. The musical evening continued with lots of older standards with Jesus doing really nice work with the vocals. Luz sang a couple and her range & styling is impressive. Several couples have been dancing the night away. Iris & Mario(pictured) are having a good time and I enjoy watching them. Ranses shows up attired in an Inca print shirt. There seems to be a phallic symbol along with some feminine outlines alongside. The Incans were big (no pun intended) on phallic symbols. Ranses opens the last set with what I call "Take Cinco". If you need interpretation "Take Five". It is done Latin style. Clave rhythm pervades. An audience member asks for a 'merengue' and away we go. Merengue to me means lots of hip shaking. I become an observer of the art. Luz takes the mic to sing "Felicidad" and warmth fills the room. They close the show with a Latin funk tune. Not bad!

Earlier in the evening, during 'happy hour, Anthony Corrado with Shay Eischen(drums), Paul Banman(piano) and Burt Boice(bass) played to a receptive crowd. Tunes like "When A Man Loves A Woman", "Manteca" and "Take Five" give Anthony and the band members a chance to show off. Had a great time. Thanks to all the musicians. Most of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY & MANY HAPPY RETURNS to my dear friend BABETTE.
't Aint Just A Birthday

't ain't just a birthday
when the birthday girls' name is Babette.
She's the kind of girl
Who's not so easy to forget.
Prettiest face.
Kindest heart.
Gentle demeanor.
Downright smart .

Years pass swiftly when surrounded by friends,
who dont necessarily live according to trends.

Night life is the life we live,
our motto and credo "It's better to give".
Forgive & forget. The past is the past.
Let the year ahead be fun
and not go so damn fast.
Al Kanovsky

all rights reserved




Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment