Monday, March 18, 2013

Sunday, I go to church and...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 3/18/13


…listen to JAZZ. JAZZ on St. Patrick’s Day dished up by 3 Irish descended musicians. JAZZ icon Ira Sullivan playing everything including voice, Brian "2 brains” Murphy (piano) and Danny "blow 'em up."

Burger at the drum kit. The no-way Irish members were Dr. Jamie Ousley on bass and standing in for Dante Luciano,  his very capable student Eric Bowman. Eric is in his first year of studying for his Masters at UM. The afternoons session did not feature the traditional Iberian music but instead a program of JAZZ classics.

Bette (Arts Garage), Yale (JAZZophile), Rick Katz (MJC) and Elaine (African Odyssey) were in the audience and enjoying every note played. During the break, I was given the opportunity to read a poem I had written for Brian on St. Patrick’s Day a few years ago. I sold illustrated copies of the poem with the proceeds going toward the Church's music budget. I matched the receipts with a donation of my own. The church was the first place that I had listened to JAZZ and Ira after coming to Florida 7 years ago. Marc Berner (flautist) and Ira's close friend, joined the band on baritone flute. He continued in the program playing a contra-bass flute which is a head taller than Marc, looks like a plumbing disaster but has a magnificent tone. Ira stepped up to the mic and soulfully sang a tune titled "From Me To You". A beautiful lyric and even though Ira hit every note his voice leaves you ??????. Ira and Marc closed the concert with a moving rendition of "Day By Day" followed by Ira and Marc's traditional playing of "Amazing Grace." I am a grizzled, street smart, old man. Every time I hear Ira do it, tears form in my eyes and roll down my cheeks. I am not ashamed of that emotional reaction.

When asked for their favorite recorded solo, Brian’s was Art Tatum’s "Tiger Rag". Eric's was Hubert Laws on "Morning Star".  Ira answered without a skipped beat. "My own. At a club in Chicago. To be recorded on a friends new reel to reel. It was one of those "magical" moments that happen only now and then and can never be anticipated or planned. It was almost an out of body experience. I knew I had done something extraordinary. Never to be repeated. I went to my friends wanting to listen to what I had just done."

It hadn't been taped---no recording---the moment gone forever---but not in Ira's memory.

Let it be noted that I have never seen 3 Irishmen at 7 o'clock in the evening of a St. Patricks Day
---------sober---------until now!!!!

On to BJB's and LourdesValentin and her new band. I was glad I did. A really good rhythm section backed Lourdes. Larry Karp on piano, Orlando Machado at the drum kit and on upright bass, young Gary Thomas. (young enough to date my granddaughters---I have already warned them of the dangers of dating musicians). Lourdes keeps moving closer and closer to fulfilling her desire of being a JAZZ vocalist. She continues to experiment with the music, lyrics and rhythms. Lourdes had a gardenia taped to her mic in tribute to her idol, Billie Holiday. Ms. Valentin does "God Bless the Child" not as Lady Day, but in her own style and voice. Lourdes and the band utilized 2d line rhythm to enliven the tune "Count Your Blessings". That got the audience, including me and a great dance partner, Denise, up and moving. Had a great time and made it through the final set. Good night, to the Lady Babette!!!
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment