Monday, July 21, 2014

What does it take...(For Allen Kanovsky's muse to be inspired?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/19/14

...to bring a smile to my old wrinkled lips? It's fairly simple. Put a beautiful young vocalist on stage with an unusual and talented rhythm section. Let her voice equal her beauty and her stage presence be an inspiration. I am talking about Sarah Packiam who I had the pleasure of seeing and listening to at Ed Bell's (WLRN91.3FM) Friday live broadcast, South Florida Arts Beat. Sarah who also plays guitar had Steve Argy (bass), Arthur Abney (cello) and Andy Russell on drums including cajon & 'hung'. Cello, Hung? I did say unusual.

Sarah opened the program with a song "I Believe". I was taken by her vocal talent but wondered at the genre. Not rock, not BLUES, not JAZZ or pop. Hmmmm. When an artist doesn't announce a song title, I am left to guess, so sometimes the titles I choose are just part of the lyric. I couldn't put a name to her second song but it made no difference. I was caught up in paying attention to that voice. She presses one of the electronic tabs and her guitar produces the 'wah-wah' effect to a reggae rhythm and "I Got Your Back".

When Sarah did "I Loved You First" she invoked the memory of Janis Joplin and her impassioned performances. She doesn't sound like Janis and is far prettier. It is the emotion she puts into the presentation. They do the title track of their latest CD, "Dreams". For the first time Andy utilizes the 'hung'. It is an off-shoot of the Trinidad pan developed in Switzerland. It looks like a covered round barbecue grill with dents in the cover. The sound it emits are haunting and pleasant. "There's A Hole In the Middle" reinforces my comparing her to the 'Pearl'. I didn't get the title of her final song but she had the audience including Dr. Jules Oaklander, George Early and Ted Grossman tappin' and clappin'. 

I spoke with Andy who enlightened me with info on the 'hung'. Dr. Jules, always the charmer had engaged Sarah in conversation and I joined them. I asked her how she would identify her music. She said she couldn't typify it in a particular genre although she felt strong 'Island' influence. A gentleman nearby offered, "Americana". I think he hit the nail right on the head. A little bit country with a beach flavor salted with the influence of BLUES and the innovations of JAZZ.

Thank you Pollo Tropical for your sponsored lunch and your support of WLRN and live music.    

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment