Wednesday, July 31, 2013

My search has ended...(and we think that is only until the next one starts for Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/31/13

...after many years of searching for the tropical paradise where I could live out my remaining years, I found it in Lake Worth, Florida. You think I'm kidding? I am not. Last night I finally made it to a joint called Havana Hideout. It is "beach". Not on the beach but beach just the same. Thatched roofs, sand, all kinds of beer, Mexican food and to top it off, Latin JAZZ on Tuesday night. My natural home away from home. The band is known as "A Finka Funk" and led by keyboardist Tom Regis. He has surrounded himself with superior musicians, Tommy Benson(guitar), Phillip McCarthur(bass guitar), Nelson Colon(congas/vocals) and an old favorite and friend Raoul Hernandez on drums. Senor Hernandez plays a six cymbal set. Tom plays 2 keyboards with a Korg accessory. Most importantly they play Latin JAZZ. It is the music where my soul lives. They were just starting when I arrived with Tom saying to the band "Let's warm up with a BLUES". Warm up they did with a clave` tempo rendition. A marriage of my favorite musical genres. I settled back to enjoy the sounds and the ambience. Is beer signs on the walls and Landshark umbrellas over the tables ambience?? To me it is all the ambience I need when the music is this good. They continued with a ballad in G minor where Tom and Tommy had the chance to show their romanticism. Next a Tommy Benson original titled "Don't It Feel Good". It featured a dissonant chord accent. When asked, Tommy said it was a "13 raised 9 with a 7th on bass." I am too embarrassed to ask any one if that is really a chord. Raul took a turn in displaying his vocal "chops" with "Son de la Loma", 'Song of the Mountains". Son is a Latin rhythm that precedes them all and to which native populations dance 'guaguanco' read dance of freedom. They concluded the first set with Herbie Hancock's "Maiden Voyage" which transitioned to Pancho Sanchez's "Cosinando Suave`." At the beginning of the 2d set they did the usual routine of acknowledging a birthday. It was Phillip McCarthurs recent bride Kaz Silver(Vocalist). TheY did a Latin JAZZ version of the tune and I couldn't resist asking the lovely birthday girl to dance. Being a musician herself you know she had rhythm. Bob Taylor(keys/percussion/melodica) joined the band and the 2d set was in full swing with Raoul and Tom's original "I Wish I Was There". The program continued with all original melodies including "Simply the Best", "Biscundo Guajera" =I am searching for my woman, "Opa-tunity" And "Rhumba Cubano". All outstanding examples of the talent of these musicians. Joining me in the audience was Jeff Abbott of the SugaWack (Link I) band. They play what is called 'spontaneous JAZZ'. I say that's what JAZZ is all about. Spontaneity and imagination. SugaWack (Link II) has a CD release party at the "Beat Cup" in Delray on August 24. If you like the 'beach bum' lifestyle or just Latin JAZZ I highly recommend the 'Havana Hideout' and Tom Regis on Tuesday night. It's a long ride home but the Real Tracy Fields (913 WLRN FM) is an excellent riding companion.       

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment