Sunday, July 14, 2013

Gypsy JAZZ....(Allen Kanovsky wants to know how one says "superior articulation of every note played" in Gypsy. Any help here folks?


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/14/13

Last night at Arts Garage I was treated to a night of musical mastery and JAZZ history. The Cook Trio plays what is called Gypsy JAZZ. The music is easily identified by its unique sound. You need only to hear a few bars and you know its roots. Django Reinhardt brought the genre to the publics attention in the early 30's. The heritage is carried forward by groups from all over the world. In addition to a memorable musical performance, Jason Cook, told interesting stories that provided insight to the life and times of Django.

The other members of the trio, his brother Ian played rhythm guitar and Kevin Jones played what gypsies call the pump. The rhythm is one of the reasons that this form of JAZZ is easily identified. Introducing each tune with a bit of history, Jason made the music come to even more life. Playing mostly Reinhardt originals such as "Blues Minor", "Indifference Waltz", "Troubling Bolero" and "Heavy Guns", they sprinkled the sets with well known tunes including "Anniversary Waltz", "See You In My Dreams", and "Besame Mucho". They did a kind of love song made famous by Edith Piaf and titled "The Crowd". The band played songs that were in homage to other gypsy JAZZ musicians including guitarist Stefan Rambel , accordionist Tom Marino and violinist/composer Titi. They closed with a super tempo "Sweet Georgia Brown" which displayed Jasons incredible articulation. Joining me in enjoying the evenings performance was my good buddy Jimmy Belize(responsible for that photo of me at the top), his friend Interior Designer, Theodora and Piano Bob. In the audience was Susana Behar(vocalist) who was there with her husband Jean-Pierre and friends. They were celebrating her husbands birthday and enjoyed every moment. Earlier in the evening I had noticed 4 young(early 20's) women at a nearby table. They were bobbing their heads in time to the music. At the break, I introduced myself and told them what I do for JAZZ & BLUEs Florida. 2 blondes, 2 brunettes. Three of them, stunning. The fourth not so. Having to assert herself, the not so one, instantly said, with a 'tude and a tone "We won't answer any personal questions". The only question I had posed was "Are any of you Gypsies". The three beautiful ones laughed. The other one responded as stated. "Thank you, enjoy the evening". While speaking with the band after the performance, a young man who had overheard our conversation remarked that I had better say nice things about the band concluding with the statement "Great stuff". He gave me his autograph, "Scott Julson". I left happy and sharing life stories with Susana and Jean-Pierre. Tonight Barbara Van is celebrating her birthday at Blue Jeans Blues...

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment