Sunday, July 28, 2013

Once upon a time...(and a time, and a time, again and still, Allen Kanovsky loved the music at Arts Garage!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/28/13

before there was "The Hustle", even before the "Watussi", there was a palace in The Apple that was known as the Palladium Ballroom. There were several princes who resided there. Eddie Palmieri, Machito, Tito Rodriguez and Tito Puente. The music they played was based on 'clave', a distinctly Latin rhythm. The dance step was the Mambo. There were more Puerto Ricans in New York than there were in Rio Piedras. More Italians than in Rome, more Jews than in Tel Aviv, more of every kind than anywhere. The young ones who came to the Palladium Ballroom were known as 'mamboniks'. They came on Wednesday night. On Thursday, the prince Tito Puente played at an unpublicized spot in Yorkville. The Gloria Palast. The best of the mambo dancers showed up at this basement locale. In the 70's Tito Sr. did a regular Monday night gig at the Pan-Am Hotel on Queens Blvd. I was in my 40's but had not lost my affection for mambo and so you knew where to find me on Monday nights. I am now in my 80's and clave is still in control of my soul.

Last night at Arts Garage in Delray, the son of the prince, Tito Puente Jr. performed with a band of his own. I shouldn't say performed. This band played. I mean played!!! Grammy winner for Best Tropical Album,  Marlow Rosado was at the piano, talented Luis Rodriguez (bass), equally adept on bongos and congas respectively . Luis Reyes and Daniel Pena. The brass had Julian Cifuentes (trumpet) and Jose M. Gutiriez on trombone. It didn't take long before they had most of the audience, including 'moi', up and dancing. I danced with a gal named Ketly, and she could dance. Tito Jr. stays true to the music and his fathers memory. He plays timbales like his Dad did. There can never be another Tito Sr. He recorded 168 albums, won 7 Grammys and was a hero in WWII. He would be proud of his son and the musician he has become. Seated at my table is long-time JAZZophile, Steven Savage. He is accompanied by his partner Beverly Speiser. Beverly let me know that it was Steven who introduced her to JAZZ, three years ago and it was "love at first note."

The band took the stage one at a time. First the conga, then bongo, bass, trombone, trumpet and piano. solos by all and then Tito Jr. came on stage with applause to suit. They played an original composition titled "Junior's Mambo" named for Tito Jr.'s son Tito Jr. Jr.. They did a number "Complication" which gave every band member a chance to shine. They played some of Tito Sr.'s hits including "RanKanKan" and of course "Oye Como Va". Tito Jr. dedicated the tune, "Pelangos" to the memory of the beloved Celia Cruz.  The percussionists took turns on the timbales with Junior finishing it off with quotes of the bugle calls, "Revellie" and "Call To The Post". It is quite a feat to be able to do that. Tito Jr. introduced an audience member Ruthie Spielman. Ruthie is 95 and proud of it. She and I had danced at the Palladium and the Gloria Palast. I took the opportunity to dance with her once again. Jr. cut-in to have her dance with him on stage. It was a special night made even more special by a musician who honors the past. Thank you, Tito Jr. Your Dad enhanced my life as a young man and now you continue that joy for me. 

As I was leaving Arts Garage, 2 ladies congratulated me on my dance efforts. Unfortunately their husbands were with them. Both younger and bigger than I. They are the owners and publishers of a monthly newspaper, "The Pineapple." Their business is only 2 years old and is thriving. It is distributed locally on stands throughout Delray.

Haven't yet decided on where I'll carry these old bones tonight. Somewhere in South Florida, where the music is good------and live!!!    

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment