Tuesday, July 30, 2013

John Travolta...('s moves have nothing on those of Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/30/13

...wore a 3 piece suit in the film "Saturday Night Fever". Last night vocalist Shenita Hunt had a 3 piece rhythm section at Blue Jeans BLUES. They were Justin McCloud(drums), T.J. Osborn(bass guitar) and the incomparable Allen Paul on the keyboard. All of them, including Shenita are products of South Florida university music departments. Shenita and Allen, University of Miami. T.J. FIU and Justin, Florida Memorial University where Melton Mustafa is an adjunct professor. Prior to the band playing, or Shenita singing, one note, Richard Milhomme(band manager) held a small prayer meeting amongst them. It touched me in a special way. Musicians remembering that their talent is His gift. The programs was listed as "Singers & Songwriters." The songs and composers put me into a time machine. Did you ever hear of a dance step called "The Hustle" or "The Bump"? ZAP!!! Here I was in the late 70's and 80's. Listening to the music of that era. I review JAZZ and BLUES. My familiarity with the numbers presented is only because of my kids. The thing that kept me there was the incredible voice of Ms. Shenita Hunt. Range, Tone, and emotion is what had me rooted to my seat. The band opened with a bossa with each member having a chance to show off a little. Shenita opened the first set with a Richard Smallwood composition titled "Total Praise". The spiritual revealed Shenita's early (age12) relationship with the church. The program included tunes by Bill Withers, Neal Sedaka, Dianne Warren as well as originals composed by Ms. Hunt with lyrics by Richard Milhomme. Pretty songs with meaningful lyrics. They included the titles, "Color My World", "Dance 'til We Fall In Love Again", "Soul, Beautiful Soul" and "Brand New Day."When asked Shenita said her favorite line from a song was "Fortify my love to fortify me", a Jeffrey Osbourne composition.  Seated at the bar was songwriter Ric Powell and his friend, Brenda. His hits included "Voices Inside", "Everything is Everything", "Sugar Lee", "This Christmas" and "Tryin' Times." His songs can be heard on records by Donny Hathaway, Roberta Flack and the Staple Singers. Ric and I share some background. The Bronx, the Navy and the years. He is a graduate of both Howard University and the prestigious New York School of Music. 

My thought in going to BJB's was to see and listen to Allen Paul, who is a long-time favorite. His imaginative solos alone, are worth the price of admission. T.J. on bass created a solid foundation with Justin keeping everyone "on time". Hopefully with a good nights sleep I will return to the 21st century. By the way, I never owned a 3 piece suit.------or danced the 'hustle'----- I tried the 'bump' once but I was almost arrested on an assault charge. . Hi, Tracy       

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment