Saturday, July 6, 2013

In a town called Boca Raton...Allen Kanovsky does The Funky Biscuit (not a dance) and JAZZIZ Nightlight (a lifestyle)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/6/13

...you can find a hi-tone 'jook joint', The Funky Biscuit where they feature the BLUES and also the highest tone JAZZ joint I've ever been to which includes the tony places in New York, and San Francisco. The name on the front is JAZZIZ Nightlife. If you live the night life style this is your spot. Great layout, classy décor, good kitchen, trained servers and bartenders and live music. I got there, last night, just in time to catch the last 2 songs of the first set. The band, Urban Gypsy, plays tight, complex arrangements that show off individual talents. In front is John Michalak(tenor/flute) and from left to right we have Alan Palanker(keys), Hantz Mettelus(bass), Mike Rivero(drums), Javier Gonzalez(latin percussion), Islay Rodriguez(guitar) and Nathan Skinner(vibes). Nathan is a student at U.M., studying under the tutelage 0f Gary Burton. They run through a variety of rhythms, flamenco, son, straight ahead JAZZ, world music, etc. etc. A foursome seated nearby were enjoying the music and listening with serious intent. Because I shared their enthusiasm for the music I asked their names. Rona & Seth Bernstein, Ann McNeil and Rick Lewis. They love BLUES as well. A little while later, after John did both tenor and flute solos, I wondered which instrument was more expressive. Listening to music, as I have said before, is not an objective art. It is subjective, based on past listening experience.
A trio of young people were at an adjacent table. Why not ask them how they felt about it? I did. Julie and Keith Raymond along with Stacy Cuzzacrea were unanimous in their opinion. Sax!!!. I will have to think about it. Which translates to, I'll never have a real answer. 

Included in the latin percussion instruments is the cajone--i.e.(box). It always amazes me to hear the multitude of sounds a good player can make that simple instrument emit. Sensitive solos by Islay on guitar made me think of the streets of Barcelona and Madrid. Equally impressive were solos by all the rest of the band members. During the last set, Ms. Bette Forman(Arts Garage) joined me for a late cup of coffee. Bette is irrepressible. If there is a rhythm section anywhere within earshot, she will definitely have to move her body, even when seated. That is not called a chair dance. It is known as dancing in your chair. There is a difference!!!!!! Tonight---Felipe LaMoglia at Arts Garage in Delray Beach--in the future, the Havana JAZZ Festival in December, I just found out there are still a few spots available. Contact me  661 803 8096 or e-mail   alkanon@hotmail.com . I'll try to save you a few bucks. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment