Sunday, July 7, 2013

BP does not mean...(what you might think, but I guess it CAN stick to you, right, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 7/7/13

...British Petroleum. To me it means blessed and privileged. I have felt that for most of my adult life. Blessed to be born an American and privileged to live in a free society. Blessed with a love for music. Privileged to listen to talented artists perform. Last night proved my conviction and beliefs. A quintet of exceptional musicians were presented at Arts Garage in Delray Beach. They share a common Cuban heritage and are strong proponents of the American art form, JAZZ. Grammy Award winner, Felipe Lamoglia, was in front of the band but they shared the stage and performance equally. I cannot find the superlative that fully suits what I was privileged to listen to last night. Outstanding musicianship combined with a spiritual connection to the music itself would be as close as I can get. I am not alone in my feelings about what was heard. Most of the audience was not familiar with the members of the band or Felipe. Their performance and the audience reaction stood for itself. The band included long time friend, Nicky Orta on bass, Ivan Zervigon on drums, Eddie Trujillo(guitar) and Kemuel Roig on piano and keyboard. Felipe blows tenor sax and I do mean BLOWS.

I can best describe the experience as listening to the JAZZ that will be played "the day after tomorrow".

All of the band has, at one time or another, performed with the Arturo Sandoval Orchestra. Felipe came to the 'States' in 1999 and immediately went to work for the late Celia Cruz. At 18 he was a member of the renowned Cuban JAZZ band NG La Banda. Eddie Trujillo is also the musical director for a church in Homestead. He promised to invite me to a performance. Again, I would feel privileged. It has long been my subjective belief that, somehow, when musicians perform in His house they seem to play better. It might be the "Or Else" factor. Along with contemporary tunes like "Open Ways" and "Nebula" the did some American songbook such as "I Hear A Rhapsody", "Stella By Starlight", "What Is This Thing" and done to 'danson' rhythm, "Body and Soul". Kemuel's piano and keyboard solos brought people to their feet. During the break, I had the opportunity to chat with them. Eddie and I talked about the spirituality of music itself. With Nicky it was talk about friendships formed. Ivan reminded me that I had seen him at a prior event with Randy Bernsen. Felipe's pronunciation of his name brought up a familiar argument. It's the same one I have with Albert Castiglia. Felipe say Fah meal yah, I say fah mig  lee a. It's The Bronx in me. I made Felipe promise to listen to Chucho Valdés and come perform at the Cuban JAZZ Festival in December. 

I'll be there. You can be too. Call me 661 803 8096 or e-mail alkanon@hotmail.com. Felipe's, "solo he wished he had played" John Coletrane, "One Down, One Up" recorded in 1965. Still pondering(nice word for fahmished) about tonight!!!!

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment