Thursday, July 16, 2015

It wasn't really...(Or was it? Only your Allen Kanovsky knows for sure!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/16/15

....JAZZ, or maybe it was. 

The dictionary definition is so out-of-date that it is irrelevant. Leonard Feather, the famous JAZZ writer (Metronome) couldn't define it in words. Let the argument lie. It was good music played by good musicians. 

Danny Burger's Showcase featured Tony Nicolossi on guitar and vocals, Mitch Goldstein on electronic B3 (w/Leslie box) and Cody Allen (tenor/flute/vocals).Their program was as mixed as a Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream menu. Steely Dan to Thelonious Monk. Boz Scaggs to Dizzy Gillespie. Erroll Garner to Stevie Ray Vaughan. Tunes that were well known and some very obscure. "Sultans of Swing" contrasted by "Night In Tunisia" . "Everyday" vs. "Walk Between the Raindrops". B.B. King songs and Sinatra tunes. All played well  and enjoyable. "Affirmation" and "Misty", "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" followed by "Pride & Joy". All I can say it was lots of fun to listen to excellent musicians playing for our enjoyment. 

Prior to the Showcase the happy-hour entertainment was James McCoy (bass & vocals) with John Rose at the keyboard. I caught only the last 3 numbers. "Ain't Necessarily So", "Moon Over Bourbon St." and an old time fave of mine "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" (You say ta may toe & I say tu mah toe). All in all, again, lots of fun & good music. 

Walked up the street to catch my dance partner, Denise Shuster, doing some karaoke. I hate karaoke. I dislike most karaoke singers. I despise the vibe in karaoke clubs. I abhor the stench of E G O that pervades. Denise has a very nice voice and with some coaching and guidance could probably work with small groups. 

At the beginning I said let the argument about what is or isn't JAZZ lie. Well it lay still 'til a little after midnight when I sat down with Clarence Palmer, Richie Race & the other Richie. The conversation, when it came to defining JAZZ went something like this------"You don't know sh-t!" 'Oh yeah". "Yeah". "Well you couldn't tell sh-t from shinola". "Oh yeah". "Yeah"  It didn't get better. The consonants slipped and the vowels became blurred as the drinking and argument continued. My head hit the table. It was time to go home. 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment