Sunday, July 19, 2015

It only happens once...(And Allen Kanovsky is there to celebrate Danny Burger's birthday!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/19/15

…your 65th birthday. The day after your 65th birthday also happens once. As a matter of fact every day only happens once. Yesterday was drummer man Danny Burger's birthday and his lovely wife Mary threw him a party. It was supposed to be a surprise but circumstances beyond Mary's control upset that plan.

Okay, I know this is supposed to be a music review.

Here goes. In spite of it being his birthday Danny Burger was doing his job playing drums behind Jimmy Cavallo (sax/vocals), Don Coffman (bass) and the venerable Dolf Castellano playing the '88s'. Unfortunately the electronic piano did not function during the first set and so it was Jimmy, bass and drums. 'Twasn't bad. The trio covered a lot of musical territory. Bop, swing, BLUES.
Past & present.

This was the first time that I heard anyone do the lyric to "Night Train". It's my guess that Jimmy could put a lyric to anything. He definitely knows how to play to an audience. The first set was mostly a history lesson. "Sing, Sing, Sing", "When You're Smiling", "You Don't Know Me", "Cherokee" and "Let the Good Times Roll". All of Danny's family, sons, daughters, in-laws and grandchild along with lots of friends enjoyed the music especially Danny's solo on "Cherokee". The 2nd set saw the keyboard in operation and Mr. Castellano rejoined the band. They opened the set with Duke's "A Train" followed by a Sinatra style "The Lady Is A Tramp". Dolf introduces "Kansas City" with some 8 beat boogie. Jimmy adds a little romance with "I Fall In Love To Easily". "Mack the Knife" and folks are dancing. During the rendition of "I Got Rhythm", Dolf quotes at least a half dozen tunes. Don follows with a full five star solo. How about some "Shake Rattle and Roll". Lots of the grey haired folks in the audience danced to that oh so many years ago. Sinatra & Charles are represented with the playing of "That's Life" and "It's All Right". The music and the party ended with a hand clappin, toe tappin' "Jumping with Symphony Sid".

I sat with "the other Richie" and his gal Ruth. Had a chance to say 'Hello' to Richie Race. Ron, the quintessential JAZZophile was there with his family. We enjoyed the music and the festivities. What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon.


And just a reminder, today, like yesterday only happens once. Make it the best day you can. As Flo liked to say "Life is not a dress rehearsal".


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment