Thursday, July 2, 2015

Danny Burger...(Allen Kanovsky knows where the music is, and who is making it!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/02/15

…sat quietly at the kit. Some of the folks who know him well call him "pots & pans."

It's Wednesday night and that's the night for Danny Burger's Showcase. He is surrounded by family members. No, not his family. The Orta's. Mike on keys, brother Nicky on bass and Nicky's wife Debbie handling the vocal chores. JAZZophiles filled most of the tables and all of the bar.

I was joined by the love of Mike's life, Luz Marina SalAzar. A short while later Rick Katz (MiamiJAZZ Co-op) would arrive. Nearby were Babette, Bill, Capt. Bob, JoJo, Ron & his daughter. Debbie is versatile and will do songs from long ago like "Speak Low When You Speak Love" and  "That Old Black Magic". She takes chances with rhythms doing songs like "Let's Fall In Love" to a cha-cha beat. Recent history is covered with the Beatles "Long Winding Road". If you like JAZZ, Mike will have you leaning forward to listen more closely. Nicky is as adroit and creative an electric bass player that you will ever hear.

What can I say about Danny Burger that hasn't been said about him except the fact that at times I shout out "Stand up Danny". His response is "I am standing up".

Included in the playlist were "Nothing Can Be Done", "East of the Sun", "The Look of Love" , and "Dancing Cheek to Cheek". Instrumentals done by the trio were "Joy Spring" and "Jitterbug Waltz". I danced with the lovely Luz a couple of times and we shared a grilled cheese & bacon sandwich. "Your Mine You" and "Devil Moon" ended the 2nd set. Debbie remembers the roots of JAZZ is BLUES and had ended the 1st set with the suggestive tune "Evil Woman". Part of the lyric goes "if you don't like my peaches, don't come 'round shaking my tree."  

Looking forward to great music and the fireworks coming up this weekend. Check listings at jazzbluesflorida.com.




Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment