Friday, May 8, 2015

There's the Super Bowl & The World Series...(...and Allen Kanovsky has attended both, but likes Essentially Ellington more!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/08/15

...there's the Stanley Cup, the World Cup and the NBA Finals but for me the best of all is the  ESSENTIALLY ELLINGTON Finals.

15 High school JAZZ bands compete for the top spots. This year 3 South Florida bands are amongst the elite 15. Dillard Center for the Arts (Ft. Lauderdale), New World School of the Arts (Miami) and  the Community Arts Program (Coral Gables). I've only been to 1 Super Bowl, 2 World Series games,0 Stanley & World Cup and NBA Finals. This is my fourth EE. They keep getting betterer and betterer. 

Yesterday I visited a mentoring session for the Lyons Township H.S. band from LaGrange IL. Marcus Printemps (trumpet) instructed band members on improvisation techniques and band cohesiveness. Next was a Q&A Rehearsal with the JAZZ at Lincoln Center Orchestra. (Band members). The session opened with a Latin tinged "swing" tune. Questions from the High Schoolers followed. What is JAZZ? What does it really take to succeed? Inspiration? Why choose JAZZ? Wynton Marsalis is superb in his guidance to the youngsters. Band members also gave advice and music tales. Clark Terry's (RIP) name came up. Every member of the trumpet section including Wynton commented on how much he contributed to each of their development, including his innovation and creativity with the plunger mute. 

Matt Wong won the arranging competition and was invited up to conduct the Orchestra performing his work. I asked Mr. Christopher Dorsey if I could sit-in on Dillard's rehearsal/mentoring session, Okay with him but why hasn't he seen me at some of their latest events. Good question. Lame answer. 

There were only a few faces from prior years, Sydney the very pretty drummer, Ulysses the very big pianist and Christian the super talented altoist. Among the new additions is a young lady, maybe 5' tall. If she weighs 100lbs I would be surprised. What does she play? Baritone sax, of course! 

Chris Crenshaw was the mentor for this session. He impressed me in many ways. He relates to music like I relate to breathing. It is an essential of his very being. He was patient while being instructive. He has a soft-spoken manner which holds your attention. I learned a lot of stuff that I had never realized I needed to know about JAZZ. 

After dinner there was a double-headed JAM session. Youngsters who have never played together before are formed into groups with a member of the JALCO. For me, it is the highlight of the festival. Pictures are below. Hope to get to the New World rehearsal this morning. Dillard competes this afternoon. There is a live stream available at: https://livestream.com/jazz 

Need a bloody mary and some breakfast. 

Personal note: My kids didn't want me driving home late at night so I am presently ensconced in a historic luxury hotel in Manhattan. Courtesy of them. It can only happen to a parent who completely ignored their kids as they grew up.   



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment