Sunday, May 17, 2015

The new guy on the block...(can be a club, OR be a musician OR be a band, as per Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/17/15


...is actually an old guy on the block. 

The Ball & Chain was a club opened in 1935 and closed in '57. Billie Holiday, Count Basie and Chet Baker all made appearances. It has recently been reborn under the management of Zack Bush. Young Mr. Bush is dedicated to reviving the club's JAZZ tradition while also presenting the best in Latin JAZZ and entertainment as well. The house band is the Nick Tannura Trio with Nick playing guitar, Eric England on bass and Aaron Glueckauf at the kit. 

I arrived just in time to catch "C-Jam BLUES". They followed with, a seldom heard, "Alone Together" and then "Body & Soul" to end the set. They had me clappin' and tappin' all the way. The 2nd set opened with "Full House". Nick and Eric taking turns at making an impression. "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes", "Love For Sale" "West Coast BLUES" "Green Chimneys" and "Steeplechase". Each of the trio showed off a bit and it made for good listening. On the 'house' music between sets you might hear tunes from years gone by like Benny Goodman's "Air Mail Special", the original Latin version of "Peanut Vendor" and artists like Beny More and Carmen Miranda. 

The trio was joined by vocalist Aileen Robertson. All standards. "Almost Like Being In Love", "Just the Way You Look Tonight", "Cry Me A River", "Don't Mean A Thing", "Rte 66" and capped with "Night and Day". 

Had the opportunity to meet Zack's most charming Mom & Dad and some of their friends including Mickey, Peggy and Dale. Had my pic taken with the 'house' greeter at the door (See photo below). The late night feature was Tito Puente Jr. and let me say he drew a crowd. 

I was off to Le Chat Noir to see one of my favorite saxophonists, Aldo Salvent. Not only did I get to hear Aldo, I was treated to a late night of music like I have never heard before. If I used words like amazing or spectacular or incredible, I wouldn't come close to describing the music I was privileged to hear. 

The band is the newly formed Waldo Madera Latin JAZZ Quintet. Richard Bravo handles the latin percussion, Aldo on tenor sax, Victor Mianda plays bass, young Irving Aday on piano and Waldo playing drums. Did I say playing drums? I should say PLAYING DRUMS!!!!!!. 

Most of what the Quintet played were Madera compositions. This was the first time the band had played and performed together. It was beyond belief. Very complex melodic and rhythmic lines played with emotion by every band member. Exquisite solos by each on every tune. 

One of Waldo's drum solos was literally heart-stopping. The music itself can only be described as La musica para dia despues manana. The music for the day after tomorrow. It is a term I first coined for Aaron Lebos' band. It is as appropriate for this group as well. 

I have been a fan of Aldo's for a number of years. Last night had my jaws agape at his mastery of the music. Senor Mianda played bass solos as if he was playing melody guitar. Friday afternoon I listened to Silvano Monasterios play his 300 notes to the bar solos. Young Irving has some facial resemblance to Silvano. He also has his dexterity and imagination. 

I would recite some song titles but it wouldn't matter. The music that was played by a quintet that was joined at the hip, musically, was one of the best I have heard in all of my 83 years. It will be remembered and talked about for years to come. Alexis promised to have them back soon.

I WILL be there!



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment