Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Devil...(is in the details, and the DELETE! Clever, Allen Kanovsky, very clever!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/05/15

...lives in the delete icon which delivers depression. I usually write the reviews in the morning. Like 9:30, maybe 10:00 . It's a little after midnight and I realize the devil who lives in the pocket where I keep my phone hit the delete button and now I'm depressed. It has removed me from the elation I felt after leaving the Miami JAZZ Co-op Rent Party. 

I had just heard Jesse Jones Jr.,Joe Donato, Brian Murphy, Lenny Steinberg, Gary Keller, Wendy Pedersen, Jim Gasior, Nanami Ousley, Keanu, Sweet Basil and a young man from Kentucky, Isaac Stephens. Before the memory fades, the music started with Joe doing an original titled "I'm A Ladies Man". He did it all by himself, singing the lyric and playing the melody on the keyboard. I could see Louis Jordan doing that tune. Jesse joined him to do a BLUES. Quoting Dizzy Gillespie "No BLUES, No JAZZ". 

Age has taken its toll on my short term memory so I don't have most of the songs that were played. Joe did a Russky dirge birthday song that involved death, disease and famine. All lines ending with "Happy Birthday". Great solos by Jesse on alto and flute. Equalled by Joe on alto & soprano.It was Rick Katz's birthday so Wendy sang "I Can't Give You Anything But Love". She was later joined by Jim Gasior to do "'round Midnight". Nanami's style often has her humming along with the keyboard solos. I may be wrong but I think it was Dan McCloud who was invited up to close the show with a BLUES. 

I had a damn good time with lots of folks I know including musicians and pals. 

I leave later today for The Apple and the Essentially Ellington competition. Three of the 15 finalists (nationwide) are local. Dillard Center for the Arts (Ft. Lauderdale). New World School of the Arts (Miami) and Community Arts Program (Coral Gables). I will try to cover them all and hope they finish 1   2   3.


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment