Monday, May 11, 2015

The Apple...(Is Allen Kanovsky in his Garden of Eden?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/11/15


...is what JAZZ musicians call New York City. Manhattan, specifically. I don't know how it came by that appellation but it did. Manhattan has over 200 venues that have live JAZZ played a least twice a week.

One of them is SMOKE. JAZZ 7 nights. It's located on Broadway. Not the Broadway around Times Square. Uptown between 105th and 106th. The club is small, holding about 65/70. Bar stools and table seating are hip to hip. Tables are separated by the thickness of a tablecloth. I always sit at the bar hoping that someone of suitable gender, 5 foot 10 or taller, wearing something short and tight finds the bar stool next to mine. "Dreams can come true" even if it's only once in a while.

SMOKE not only has JAZZ 7 nights it also has a JAZZ brunch on Sunday. The brunch features Annette St. John and her trio. And a JAZZ trio it is. Venerable Vinnie Ruggiero on piano, Earl Sauls on bass and at the kit Darrell Smith. The trio started the session with a couple of standards which gave each of them a chance to show off a little and let the audience know that they were going to be treated to a late morning/early afternoon of good JAZZ. Annette took the stage, singing to a full house of Mother's Day celebrants and JAZZophiles. Paying tribute to Lady Day and Big Maybell. BLUES, swing, even a little R&R her program was a delight. Tunes like "East of the Sun", "Broadway", "Crazy" and one of my Billie Holiday favorites "Fine and Mellow" --- 'he wears high drape pants, the stripes are oh so yellow'. Memories, memories. Keith, the bartender, joined in on a couple of the BLUES. I sat through 2 sets, fried chicken & waffles, several cups of coffee and 3 'bloody Marys' made with freshly grated horseradish. 

I would have stayed for the 3d set but had to meet Missy, Ali and Mike back at my hotel on 32nd and Broadway. Rode the bus most of the way and walked (slowly) the last 9 blocks. During my time in the Apple I availed myself of all the modes of transit available. Taxis, the subway, busses and even legwork. Missy and her family were celebrating Mother's Day with dinner at Elias in Astoria, Queens. If you are a favored customer you can BYOB. My daughter, Melissa, had paid attention as a youngster and knows how to make real Sangria --- lots of brandy. Salad, mussels, freshly caught and broiled fishes. Man-O-man.


Thanks to all the young musicians at the Essentially Ellington Competition. Thanks to Annette St.John and her trio for an enjoyable early Sunday. Thanks Keith for excellent Bloody Marys. Thank you Melissa, Michael and Alexandra for making Zeder feel so good. 

*Personal note. The picture of the guy playing a pocket trumpet on 34th and B'way could have been me(If I had practiced harder).












Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment