Monday, May 4, 2015

Have you ever sat through...(And some have SLEPT through 3 sets, Allen Kanvosky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/04/15

...3 sets of music and new every title, melody and even the lyrics. It happened to me yesterday at the Riverwalk JAZZ Brunch in Ft. Lauderdale. The band was the Glyn Dryhurst Quintet. Glyn on trumpet, Danny Burger (drums), Dave Williams(piano), Dave Wilkinson(bass) and Bob Hanni(guitar/vocals). The band opened with "Perdido". Glyn playing muted trumpet. Each took a turn and then traded 4's. They took it out with the associated bop riff. There may be only a few of you who remember tunes like "JaDa". The lyric goes---"ja da, ja da, jada, jada jing jing boom". My older sisters danced to that way, way back in the day. By the way, Danny Burger is no youngster, but he was the kid of this group. "Bye Bye Blackbird" has dancers up. Some young, some not so, and a couple of them of my generation. One of my favorite dnce partners, Denise Shuster, has shown up and we do some hi-stepping. Bob Hanni handles the vocal on "Do You Know What It Means" and Wilkinson adds a really nice bass solo. Back when I was 16 and pretending to be a trumpet player, my quintet, played a Duke novelty tune titled "Squeeze Me But Please Don't Tease Me". This group did it a lot better. They followed with "Night Train". This tune was originally recorded by Jimmy Forrest(tenor sax) in 1951. It led to the dance step called "The Fish" which was done in every cellar club in N.Y. Bob does a nice bit of scat singing to this one. "Baby Ain't I Good To You" and we are solidly back in the 'swing' era. They play "On the Street Where You Live". Nice trumpet and guitar solos. They do "Desifinado" during which Bob quotes "A Train". What tune do they play next? The power o suggestion. Of course, "A Train". More folks dancing and lots more stop to listen. The 2d set opens with another Ellington tune, "In A Mellow Tone". Wilkinson gets his chance to 'wow' the audience and he does. I vaguely remember Louis Armstrong doing "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby" so when the band plays it I am carried back to my 'yute' so many years ago. They play "Comin Home Baby" to Ritmo Latino as their audience continues to grow. When they do "Mack the Knife" Denise and I manage to find space to do our thing. While Bob sings "Sweet Lorraine" I spy Clarence Palmer in the audience. Martine & Jacques are dancing behind the bandstand. "Pennies From Heaven" goes way back. The parody "Benny's From Heaven" was done by my employer, comedian B.S.Pully when I worked for him in 1947. They close the set with a rousing version of "Caravan" and it gives Danny Burger the opportunity to blow the tom-toms up. The last set started with "Lullaby Of Broadway" Mari Bell stopped to say Hello. A rarely heard Ellington tune "The Mooch" has Martine & Jacques doing an up close and personal. Good solos by Glyn and Bob. "All Of Me" is a song my? band allowed me to sing way back then. I am solidly on the walk 'down memory lane'. "Teach Me Tonight" and I remember the first kisses I shared with Flo in the summer of 1956. We were married before the year ended. Django was remembered with "Swing 32". "Everyday" was a Basie/Williams hit. One night of our honeymoon was spent listening to them at Birdland. The opening act was Lambert, Hendricks and Ross. Yeah, Flo loved JAZZ too. When they do "English Dance" it gives Danny another chance at stick mastery. The crowd insists on "ONE MORE". What else but Duke and "Satin Doll". Thanks to all the musicians who played for me yesterday and brought back all the wonderful memories of days long gone by.   

*Editor's Note to Al: Have a great time in NYC, but don't forget to come back! Give our best to ALL the competitors in the Essentially Ellington program, but 'specially those from FLA!

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment