Sunday, April 26, 2015

They keep getting closer to...(And Allen Kanovsky keeps getting happier as Studio 619 brings more JAZZ to Ft. Lauderdale)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 04/26/15

...home. 

Places that feature JAZZ I mean. 

The newest is Studio 619 located in the Sea Club Resort on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale. It's not snooty,noisy or exclusive like Studio 54 was. It is a comfortable room. Nice bar, easy lounges, the music is JAZZ  and it's live. 

Last night I had the absolute pleasure of listening to a trio that had Julius Pastorius on drums, Randy Bernsen on guitar and Brad Miller playing both electric and upright bass. Gertrud (Manager) is  genuinely interested in having JAZZ be an ongoing venture. As I sat down, right in front of the trio, Omar Madrugo (Tony's dad) walked in. I haven't seen him in quite a bit. Tony will be returning from N.Y. in the middle of next month and might get a gig at the place. The trio was noodlin' around, tuning up and chatting musically. Julius, using just his hands played softly underneath. It was fun listening to. 

Omar and I shared some Buffalo wings and Coconut shrimp. Both dishes tasty. The trio opened with "Blue Bossa". Setting the mood perfectly. Randy uses his guitar, like I wish I could use words. He is creative and selective in his phrasings. You keep wanting to hear more. Brad is steady on bass. There are no words that can be descriptive of Julius' drumming. I could try amazing. I wouldn't be close. Imaginative could possibly be the opening word to be followed by genius, masterful and downright JAZZ at its best. The trio traded 8s to close the number. They played Joco Pastorius' composition "Three Views of a Secret". It is probably one of the most interesting JAZZ pieces there is. "Three Views" was followed by another Jocko tune, titled "Las Olas". The song provided another opportunity for the trio to display their mastery of their respective instruments.

Most of us wouldn't think of the Beatles "Eleanor Rigby" as a JAZZ piece. We would be wrong. The trio  turned the tune into a work of art. The only word I can find to describe Julius' solo is "exquisite".Some might say that is too delicate a word for a drum solo. Not for this one. The dynamics, the rhythmic patterns, the dexterity-----again, exquisite. 

The 2nd set opened with Monk's "'round Midnight. If I make it to Heaven and the harpists know only 2 songs, I hope it's "Midnight" and "In Walked Bud". Brad got his turn to show off on the upright and Randy bent notes like pretzels. Get a little funky? Let's try "What's Going On". I stopped taking notes at this point. I just had to sit back and listen to the music. Holly Spillane and what seemed to be every friend and relative she has, were in the house. I remember Randy quoting "Softly" and "The One and Only You". The did another bop tune and a JAZZ lullaby for an infant in his mother's arms. I didn't get to hear a live band 'til I was 7 years old. This little guy looked to be about 7 weeks. I also noticed that his Mom was good looking!. -----What?----- 

They did a couple more and took it out with a Miles Davis song. Right now Studio 619 has JAZZ one night a week. With your and my support maybe more to come. 

Tonight?????  
   







Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment