Thursday, April 23, 2015

It started out with Charlie....(Allen Kanovsky hits the beach for some RedBeans!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 04/23/15


...breezing in from points west. A 45 minute nap, then he and I head out for the Dania Beach Bar & Grill which is located strangely enough on the beach in Dania. Why there, you ask? It's Niles (Redbeans) Blaize's weekly BLUES Jam. The house band had Jimmy Daniel on drums, Dan Newman (guitar), Doctor Mike (bass) and Ron on latin percussion. Niles played harp and did the vocals. The joint as jumping when we arrived and I mean jumping. The ocean breeze was carrying guitar riffs and Jimmy's paradiddles inland. Charlie and I were joined by Kathy, Marie Blaize, Betty Rosenthal along with various and sundry guys. By the way, Betty, when she arrived, kissed me full on the lips, New York style. I think it's because I often mention her booty shaking when the music gets hot. Niles and the band do "You Gotta Help Me". Dan offers a dynamite guitar solo and Niles follows his lead on the harp. 

We order beverages. Charlie, Pinot Grigio. Kathy, Chardonnay. Me, Swamp Ape---10% alc and black as a bottomless pit. To wash down the alcohol we ordered crab cakes and blackened fish tacos. (as pictured below).  Bluesy Dan joins the group, playing what looks like a Les Paul Gold Top guitar. I will never believe the phrase "starving musician" again. 

The group does "I Hear You Knocking" and I'm carried back a century or two, to my youth. They follow with "My Baby Bought A Ticket"----long as my right arm----Niles does the vocal and some harp. He puts us all in 'looziana' where he was born and raised. You know a man knows the meaning of love when he can sing "Together, Now and Forever" like Niles did last night. It almost, I repeat, almost brought a tear to my eye. Back to reality with "My Baby Don't Rock & Roll" and then "On the Bayou". The group is joined by Herb Levin playing harp. There must be a dozen or more Jewish, BLUES playing, harmonicists? in Florida. My father insisted I learn to play accordion until he found out that trumpet rental was $2 less. If he knew he could buy me a harmonica for $1.99 I am sure I would be counted in that number. During the course of the evening lots of musicians stopped by to chat for a moment or two between the tacos, the bevs and the music. Some nights are just easy on your soul, and this was one of those.

They do "I Got My Mojo Working" with Bill Diverno joining in on guitar. Jimmy returns on drums. If you want to know the history of modern day drumming read Jimmy Daniel's bio. Herb returns on harp along with Jeff Philips on bass. One of my favorite rockers "Baby Don't You Wanna Go" followed by Jeff asking to do "Sitting On the Back of the Bay" in F. Niles says he has never heard a bass player request a tune played in that key. Jeff sings another, "I'm A Hootchy-kootchy Man". Niles follows with 2nd line rhythm and a tune titled "Junco Partner". Niles is a 'railroad man'. Recently retired and more recently gone back to the RR's. What kind o harp playing, railroad man, would he be if he didn't do "Orange Blossom Special"? Starting with the slow tempo of a train pulling out and then increasing speed as it moves along until it is almost breakneck. Niles, Jimmy and the rest blow you away!. It is fun----capital F U N. They slow it down with "Ain't No Sunshine When You're Gone" followed by "Home". Jimmy delivers as only Jimmy Daniel can. The night of music ends with the tune "That Spoon". Everyone I know puts different meaning to its lyric line.

We sit around swapping tales. Tall and short. True and false. The future and the past. Good friends---sharing. Charlie and I stop at Capone's Flicker Lite on the way home through Hollywood Beach. New buildings, condos, hotels are growing close to completion. Maybe the pizza joint will start having live music again --- I hope --- One Night Stan?     

Tonight? Big time to be had on Calle Ocho... CD release party for the house trio at The Ball & Chain. Music at 6pm, party at 8 and the jazz goes until 10. JAZZ, vino & tapas. Maybe Le Chat on the way back? 























Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


1 comment :

  1. Thanks Allen for the great review, I agree wholeheartedly, Niles does a great job putting on this Jam and keeping everyone on their feet. I would have come over and said hello, but you were surrounded by beautiful women and I couldn't fight my way in! LOL

    ReplyDelete