Monday, April 27, 2015

Did you ever get the feeling that you wanted to...(Allen Kanovsky opts for the feeling of Arts Garage and Gypsy Jazz!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 04/27/15

...stay and then you got the feeling that you wanted to go?**.

That was me last night. Stay home? Arts Garage? Stay home? Gypsy JAZZ? To and fro. Back and forth. Gypsy JAZZ wins by 2 lengths. 

The John Jorgenson Quintet has John on guitar, clarinet, bouzouki and vocals. Jason Anick (violin), also the youngest professor (27) of violin at Berklee. Jeff Radaich (rhythm guitar) Simon Planting (bass) and Rick Reed (percussion). I arrived a bit late due to my earlier indecision. I was seated at a table with a friend of Charlie's and an active South Florida BLUES Society member, Jimmy Mac. 

The band and its program is dedicated to preserving the memory of Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli and the music they played in the 30's & 40's. 

"Love Letters" was the first tune I was treated to. Jason provided a most touching solo and then traded lively 4's with John. John produced a string instrument called a 'bouzouki'. It is of Greek origin. They played a tune titled "One Stolen Night". I didn't have to close my eyes to be transported to an isle in the Med. I was lying in a hammock. Strolling up the hill toward me was a dark haired woman wearing flowing white, diaphanous pants and blouse. She had an infant on her hip. As she drew near I realized that she had to be the baby's grandmother. She looked my way, smiled and waved --- (to be continued?). 

The program continued with a Jorgenson original titled ?????? Gathering. John and the band are at their creative best with the playing of a movement from Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake". The set was closed with a lively rendition of a Django tune "Hungaria".

The 2nd set opened with "El Camino Del Chic". Incredible unison work with John and Jason while having fun with the rest of the quintet. Versatility? They now do Fats Wallers composition of "Got My fingers Crossed" with John handling the vocal portion. The next tune had the flavor of Bulgaria/Romania and had the title "Swingapore" 'cause that's where it was written. The tune typifies the work of Django and Stephane. 

John collaborated with Peter Frampton in the composition of "Souvenir De Nos Peres" (Memories of Our Fathers). A somewhat lively piece that emphasizes the syncopated rhythms of that time in musical history. An ear for 'classical' music with Grieg's "Norwegian Dance" followed by "Mediterranean Blues". The audience demands an encore and are treated to Django's "Nuage". I readily admit that I have never heard as many 5* solos as I did during this concert. John, Jason,Jeff, Simon and Rick, each and everyone deeeelivered.

It was early, sooooooo --- 33rd-ward I went. Eric and the Jazzers. Ken Burkhart (keys), Doc Allison (drums). Cornelius Johnson (reeds), Yamin Mustafa (trumpet), Barbara Glenn (vocals), Eric (??????). He (Eric) has a beautiful, vivacious wife--maybe that's all he needs to do. Uncle George contributed his vocal talents. Django sat in on guitar and Miguel the same on drums. Barbara has a well trained voice and a dynamite set of gams. Danced with Denise, Barbara and Eric's wife. No notes so no tune titles. Just a fun way to end an evening of "live" music. 

Miami Jazz Cooperative Rent Party tonight. Open Stage, Coral Gables - Federico Britos & Jorge Garcia.  


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment