Thursday, April 16, 2015

Destination JAZZ! (Allen Kanovsky makes a decision - and it is The Fish House!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 04/16/15

My head was spinning. Jackie Deering called. Denise was open to suggestions (musical). Danny Burger? Clarence Palmer at Café Vico? Red Beans Blaize? Where? What? Who? My gas tank is full. How about The Fish House? A little longer drive but my favorite instrument is being played (vibes) by Errol Rackipov.

Young David Leon (alto) hosts Wednesday Night JAZZ at The Fish House and it's always nice to get a warm hug from Angela. I get there just in time for the first tune and join Olga and Mandy (David's parents) at their table. Joining David and Eric are Lubomir Gospondinov (tenor/soprano sax/clarinet), Josh Allen (bass) and Rudolfo Zuniga on drums. If you don't see many song titles it is on me. I was so taken by the musicianship of all that played that I didn’t take lots of notes. Mia Culpa. Eric was playing a 4 mallet solo that had me gape-jawed. Lubomir followed with an intriguing solo on soprano. Josh pushed them a bit and Rudolfo made sure everyone stayed on the bus. David met Lubomir in Bulgaria when he toured Europe. There is a connection there that can only be made by talented JAZZ musicians. David, younger and Lubomir, a bit older, play face to face admiring one another’s work. The flavor is middle-eastern in combination with south-eastern European. When Lubomir picks up the soprano he transports me to the dusty streets of the Casbah. Errol's solo keeps me there while David tries to blow away some of the dust. Next came a tune that Errol called 'the other'----what? I don't know. Josh had the introductory bars and Eric followed with the line of the melody. Then it happened---the magic---two musicians David and Lubomir exchanging ideas with exquisite riffs. David, thoughtful. Lubomir, exciting. Was I enjoying it? Damn right!!!!.

They concluded the set with a song titled "Pictures From A Train Window". If music could convey the thought without words, this was the piece. Errol has complete dynamic control of his instrument as you can almost see the train leaving the station, picking up speed and moving through the countryside. The notes invoke images you might see while seated by a window. I was listening intently. The beat started to slow. The volume decreased. The train was approaching the station. You could see the platform as the train slowed to a stop. How can you not LOVE music.

Okay! All of you know the story of "Young Man and A Horn". David is a young man with a horn. Last night I had the opportunity to listen to two 'young men' with horns. Ian Munoz (12) who I have heard before and Julian Gonzalez (14). They both play alto sax and I mean play. Ian and David did some be-bop and then Ian played solo with "Summertime". Along the way, Ian closed his eyes and played some stuff that had us drifting along on a warm summer afternoon.  David & Ian with a little Cannonball and then Julian is invited up. Errol does the intro and we are off on the magic carpet of JAZZ. Young men, boys actually, are playing music that you would hear from well-seasoned 'cats'. Julian is not just playing riffs that he has heard on records. The kid (my term) has got some creativity. Ian and David encourage him and then it is SAX SAX SAX and I mean SAX.

After a short break Errol, Lubomir, David, Josh and Rudolfo returned for a short set and had me listening to every note-----Glad I was there for all of it.

Post script: Two blackboards in the newly named "BACKROOMLIVE" have a hand-written list of 33 bottled beers from many far-away places. Peru, China, Belgium, Honolulu, Spain, Islamorada and even Chicago. I had mussels in spicy red sauce and a HopHead Red. I did not spill sauce on my shirt!!!      

EDITOR'S NOTE: Check out Charlie's latest visit to The Fish House at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10204850684081645.1073742015.1075458403&type=1&l=173bcd884a 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment