Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Va Para o Brasil...(Allen Kanovsky is checking behind the cushions for airfare again!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/10/15


...in English it means Go to Brazil. If I could drive 150 miles to listen to the BLUES, why wouldn't I drive 30 to listen to some authentic Brazilian JAZZ. The Miami JAZZ Co-op Rent Party at The Open Stage in Coral Gables. Rose Max and Ramatis are the featured artists. With them are Jamie Ousley on electric bass and Goetz Kujack on drums. This was to be the night of the Great Brazilian Songbook. We would not only hear the rhythms of samba and bossa nove, but choro, baido, frevo and samba cancao. Ramatis plays a 7 string guitar to add depth to the patterns they play. Rose has rhythm coursing in her veins and a voice made for JAZZ vocals. I can't identify most of the songs because they are sung in Portuguese and are generally tunes I have not heard before. A few are Carnaval song. Most reflect the different areas of Brazil. In spite of the language barrier you enjoy every note. Music and especially JAZZ is a universal language. Along with Rose & Ramatis, Jamie and Goetz can feel the emotion of Brazil. The 2nd set is a Jam and there are PLAYERS in the house. Nanami Orakawa gets up and surprises by singing in perfect Portuguese. She sings one and then she and Rose do a charming and cute duet. Steve Kornick(latin percussion) has joined in and the beat has picked up. Felipe LaMoglia (tenor sax) joins in. He adds the 'progressive' JAZZ sound and it inspires all on stage. Tom Williams(bass) is a recent arrival from CA. and he adds a little West Coast flavor. A young man, Ben Pernick is a student from Michigan. How and why, I don't know. but he fell in love with the sounds of Brazil. He plays guitar and sings. You would swear he is Carioca. Keanu joins in on bari. Know the tune or not, Keanu handles it well. They close with "Morning of Carnaval", better known as "A Day In the Life Of A Fool".

Tonite is yet to be determined --- days and weeks to come are in His hands. Get up, get out and listen to 'em LIVE!!!!










Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment