Friday, March 13, 2015

Sometimes it's worth...(...Well, isn't everything in Coral Gables worth a lot, Allen Kanovsky? Including the Coral Gables Blues Fest?)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/13/15


...the wait. I've been around a long time. There are times that I feel the weight of all those years. Then, there are times like last night when I'm glad I made it this far. The night is the opening of the Coral Gables BLUESFestival. The event is at Harald Neuweig's Fritz & Franz Bierhaus in the Gables. 

Opening the show is J.P. Soars and the Red Hots. J.P. on guitar and vocals, Chris Peet(drums), Steve Laudicini(guitar) and A.J. Kelly playing bass. I get there in time to hear "She's A Viper". The guys out there that have had more than one woman in their lives have probably known one like in the song.They do one in Latin rhythm and then play a brand new original that hasn't been titled yet.  "Ain't Gonna Worry Me" ends the set. Elaine Porteous(African Odyssey Travel) has been there enjoying the music since the opening note. Stan Street is the evenings M.C. and has a booth selling his art works. Part of the proceeds are being contributed to a cause for needy musicians. The 2nd set opens with "Better Treat Me Right". Piano Bob(on the cover of the program) grabs a willing partner and proceeds to cut some concrete. Her name is Lori Seifert and she does like to dance. They play a slow paced one an Bob again takes Lori to the front of the bandstand. This is a BLUES Festival and they play the BLUES. "Gonna Be Some Trouble After A While". Next a little Gypsy style with "It Don't Mean A Thing". J.P. wrote a song dedicated to The Backroom which was a small BLUES joint which has been closed for three or 4 years. Local bands had steady gigs there for many a year. Nice tune, nice lyric. Steve provided a super solo. J.P.cks up a 2 string cigar box guitar and a finger slide. They play "A Full Moon Night in Memphis" and it's booty shaking time. One gal, Jennifer W., has some nice moves of which I take full notice. J.P. shows his Arkansas roots when they play "Can't Trust A Woman". He returns to his regular guitar for "Satisfy My Soul". Charlie & I duck inside for some victuals. No, duck is not on the menu.

Piano Bob joins Charlie, Elaine and I for food and conversation. He knows more music history, especially boogie and BLUES than anyone else I know. Iko-Iko is setting up on the indoor stage. Graham Wood Drout (guitar/vocals) fronts the group with Jimmy Daniels on drums, Mitch Mestel(bass), and Ron Taylor on the keyboard. Graham is a prolific composer and some of what they would play are his originals**. 

"Ain't No Zydeco Town"** was written about Miami. " "Boom, Boom, Boom" was next and the the one I like a lot, "When the Ghosts of Mississippi Meet the Gods of Africa"**. "I'm Feeling Like Jesus Just Came Back"** is done by other guys as well, which indicates how well written Graham's songs are. "I Got My Eyes On You" and Ron Taylor gets his chance to show off a bit. "My Love Has Gone Away From Me" and then "I'm Afraid To Fall Asleep"**. They played some kind of Western twang tune that had me clappin' and tappin'. From Texas to N'Awlins and a second line tune "Since I Laid My Girlie Down".  "Hip Shake" has Cajun written all over it and Stan Street joins in playing harp. It morphs into "Gotta Have Money" to end the set. The 2nd set opened with "Big Toe"**. Rachelle Coba (guitar) joins in. When the rock "My Babe" A.J. Kelly steps up to the bass. A nice shuffle and I dance with Lori to "Too Late". Stan sings "I Was Born in Chicago" and Rachelle takes a dynamite solo. Piano Bob is invited up and now it's time for Boogie-woogie BLUES. "Brand New $20 Bill" , "It Hurts Me Too" and "Gonna Rock This House Tonight" with a little bit of "Do the Hucklebuck" thrown in. It's way too late for kids like Charlie and I (1:30AM) to be out by ourselves. Elaine said she was leaving an hour ago but is still here, bab-sitting us. Thank all the musicians for a super night of BLUES. 

As Louis Prima would say, "Bona Sera Signorina, Bona Sera."    






Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment