Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Saturday morning...(...coming down, for Allen Kanovsky at the Bonita Blues Festival and Alto Jazz Kitchen in Naples)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/10/15

...finds me hard at work. I am at the Bonita Blues Festival gate duking out the colorful card promoting the JAZZ BLUES Florida

This is not a paying gig. Nobody I know, working for Charlie, gets paid for anything. Professional staff excluded. If doctors don't kill me I'm about 3 years away from starvation. With my age and the way things are happening around the world it's about 6 or 7 to 5 that I don't have to worry. 

The sun is shining and the RJ Howson band is on stage blowin' up a BLUES storm. Everyone walking thru the gate has a smile on their face. Music can do that to you. I'm busy with the cards and greeting folks so I didn't take any notes for the day. I do remember the Ben Rice Band. Mainly because of Lisa Mann. Does that girl put on a show. It's Ben's band but he graciously stands aside, playing background for the lady. The music was great. The day was bright and breezy. I fell asleep. 

Charlie shook me awake it was time to change venues and genres. Green grass to white tablecloths. BLUES to JAZZ. The place is called Alto LiveJAZZ Kitchen. It is owned by famed Chef Charles Mereday. His manager Fernando Gonzalez has been instructed to bring great talent to the room and build a home for JAZZ on Florida's West Coast.

The room itself reminds me of high society New York in the 50's. Real raised stage, excellent sound system, lights raised and lowered at appropriate times. The kind of place you would bring a lady you wanted to impress or your present someone if you've been together for more than 6 weeks. Dan Miller (trumpet) had Lew Del Gatto on tenor, Patricia Dean (drums), Joe Delaney (piano) and Don Mopsick bass. The band opened with "These Foolish Things". Nice swing tempo and meaningful solos ending with Dan's closing cadenza. 

Seated next to me was a lovely woman from Cleveland. Her late husband had introduced her to JAZZ early on in their marriage and she continues to love it, today. A couple of tunes later they did "Perdido". It is hard to do only a one chorus solo to this JAZZ standard and so each took their liberties. Ending it with a series of 4's that went 'round and 'round. The 2nd set had me having such a good time tappin' and clappin' that I didn't write anything down. I was soaking in music and atmosphere. Chatting with a charming lady between songs and in general having a real good time. I do remember them doing a Miles tune and closing the set with Juan Tio's "Caravan". Yes, there are ladies that can use those sticks!!! 

Charlie and I wanted to catch the after hour Jam back at the stage. We left reluctantly. The line at the Stage was out the door. Maybe 30 deep. Charlie and I opted for bed. Apologies to Albert and everyone else who played the Jam. 

Now it's Sunday. Boyer and me partake of the Comfort Inn complimentary breakfast buffet. I had a waffle, a couple of sausage patties and coffee. Charlie had coffee, scrambled eggs, toast, yogurt, a hard boiled egg and a couple of sausage patties. I eat slowly. Charlie did not want to be rude and so he stayed with me and another couple of sausage patties. Before Charlie consumed most of the porcine herd in the area I wiped my mouth and said "Let's Go!". Showered, teeth brushed and unshaven we ead for the Lansdown Street Pub. Bloody Mary's, Corned beef and the BLUES. Reba , Wayne, and Brittany Russell are the opening act and set the mood, taking us to church. BLUES with a taste of Austin, a little bit of the Tennessee hills and a touch of southern Gospel. Brittany Russell looks to be about 12 years old. Her smile can light up Yankee Stadium. Her stage presence belies her age. And man o man can this little girl sing. I put down my sandwich and bloody mary to turn round and listen to her. Every nuance of the BLUES is in her voice. Someday if the Lord grants me the years I will be proud to say I heard her way back when. Among the tunes they did were "I Don't Wanna Work No More", "No Use of Trouble" "Good Woman Song", No Sugar & Spice"(Brittany), "Move To Mississippi" and the one that touched my heart "One More Day With You Beside Me". Next up is the Jeff Jensen Band. I've never heard them before. High powered would be like saying cream cheese. Jeff is way beyond any words I know. 5 notes out he's got every female in the joint on their feet shakin' sumthin' or other. Kathy, who had been seated beside me grabs Mary, (Piano Bob) and has her up and doin' it. It's an evened pace BLUES shuffle but there's electricity in it. Let your hair down baby, and they mean it. "Coming Home" and nobody sits down. "The Creature" was next and then "Heart Attack & Vine". There is a reason to love the BLUES.

I'm 4 Bloody Marys in to the day and 150 miles from home. Open the car windows. Turn sirius to Bluesville. Lay the seat flat & take a nap. Later on, a chocolate shake and the road. A great big 
THANK YOU

To all the musicians who played for my pleasure all weekend long. Kudos to the promoters, operators and volunteers of the Bonita Springs BLUES Festival for a job well done.

Jazz & Blues Florida's Bonita Blues Festival 2015 Day One Facebook Photo Album:

Jazz & Blues Florida's Bonita Blues Festival 2015 Day Two Facebook Photo Album:

Jazz & Blues Florida's Bonita Blues Festival 2015 Blues & Bloodys on the Patio Wrap Up Facebook Photo Album:

Jazz & Blues Florida's Bonita Blues Festival 2015 Youtube Playlist:


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment