Thursday, March 12, 2015

If a lady calls you...(We bet you have been called a lot of things, by a lot of women, Allen Kanovsky!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/xx/15



...at about 8 P.M. and asks what are you doing? Do you dare tell the truth? "Nuttin' honey!!"

Or do you nonchalantly say  "I'm still thinking about where I'm going" when actually your plan was to grab your 'kindle', find your glasses and crawl into bed------alone. 

Not if it's Ms. Jackie D. Your immediate response, without hesitation is "Whatever you want to do." She says Ira Sullivan is the feature at Danny Burger 's Showcase at BJB's. You say  "What time?" Her answer, "Shower, makeup, something pretty plus half an hour." I'm turning on the hot water when I say "Cool." Shower, shave, freshly laundered white linen shirt, clean jeans, even socks. 

Charlie is shouting at me. "Music---schmuck! You write about music". He's calling me a schmuck when he's the one that describes what I do as writing? Okay, the music.

There's not much more I can say about last night's performance after I see who's playing. Danny is at the drums, Ira will play tenor sax, trumpet, 2 different type of flutes and various exotic rhythm instruments. Jamie Ousley on bass with Brian Murphy playing piano and Marc Berner (flute, tenor sax). Recently, Ira's son, Brevard (guitar) has been joining his Dad on JAZZ gigs. I got there for the last 2 tunes of the first set. I couldn't even get in the door. Jam-packed. I grab a curbside seat and order a spicy Bloody Mary. My friend Betty Forman joins me and asks about Bonita Springs. The band takes a break and Jamie joins us. Aha! Here comes the aforementioned 'lady of the evening'. I don't mean that in the way it is used in literature. I mean that this is the lady who will hold my attention all evening long. Okay   --- okay --- the music. 

The 2nd set opens with "Espresso Bueno". Latin rhythm, Ira on flute and Marc playing tenor. Next, the standard "As Time Goes By". If you play "Stompin' At the Savoy".  I am going to get up and dance especially with Ms. D. We are dancing right in front ofIra and I am doing a little scat vocalizing in her ear. Ira overhears and invites me to the stand. I inform him that if I pick up the mic, tomorrow they'll be parking trucks in what was once a JAZZ joint. Brevard's playing is reflective of all the years listening to his Dad practice. JAZZ is in his bones. Still swinging they do "Tenor Madness". I notice that Marc has become quite comfortable and creative with his tenor playing. The rhythm returns South of the Border with a samba melody titled "The Little Train of Caipira" to end the set. Martine and Jacques come in with a couple of friends visiting from New Haven CT. The evening of great JAZZ will come to a close with "Young Lovers", an original titled "Brothers" and of course the way Ira always closes a show, "Amazing Grace." My favorite lyric line of all time --- "...that saved a wretch like me..."

No truer words were ever written.

Danny Burger

Ms. Jackie



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment