Saturday, March 28, 2015

Her name may be hard...(...as probably ALLEN KANOVSKY is difficult for her!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/28/15

...to pronounce, but she sure is easy to listen to. Especially when she is accompanied by Mike Orta on piano and her husband Jamie Ousley on bass. It happened in Miami last night. And the owner was in the house to listen as well.

Mike and Jamie fooled around a bit before Nanami Orikawa got up to sing "I Love To Be Loved By You". She followed with a Latin rhythmed tune. It started as bolero & ended with a more lively beat. She did it beautifully albeit with an accented espanol. Mike and Jamie took alternate solos that impressed. Nanami's "scats" are well worth paying attention to and were on display when she did "So Nice To Come Home To" and ending it with a flatted 5th. Some bossa nova with "My Little Boat" followed by a beautiful Japanese folk song. 2 tunes "Night and Day" and "Sentimental Journey" have Nanami humming to both Mike and Jamie's solos. It is more tone poems than hums. What I mean by tone poem was very evident when she sang "Very Early". If you are a JAZZophile you would sit up and listen hard to her rendition of Chick Corea's "You're Everything". Nanami took chances with melody, rhythm and timing. Great listening. Jamie added an upper register bass solo to end the set. The 2nd set opened with Mike and Jamie noodling around with "I'm Old Fashioned". Mark had a request(Hey--after all he owns he joint) which was a beautiful ballad. I can't recall the title. When I turned to thank Mark for the tasteful request I saw that he was now accompanied by 3 tasty morsel(read ladies). Good taste in musica y mujeres. Nanami swings "Falling In Love With Love" followed by Jobim's "Girl From Japanema". The alliteration because Nanami sang it in Japanese. Brazilian bossa rhythm. Luz Marina Salazar sitting nearby. Of course I asked her to dance. She readily acquiesced. We did it where Mike couldn't watch us. You know about jealousy and machismo.

Nanami invites Luz up to sing. "Solamente Una Vez"(You Belong To My Heart) is probably one of the most tender of Latin ballads and Luz uses all of her voice to reflect the emotion.  Mike is truly in love with Luz and vice-versa. His love for the lady is clearly indicated in his solo. Capt. Bob's adoptive son Davis arrives in time for the last set. He had been at the rainy MOCA concert. The set opened with Nanami singing "I Fall In Love Too Easily". Jamie and Mike compete for best solo. Nanami stays with the American Songbook doing "But Not For Me". Flo and I met at a Catskill resort, Laurels Country Club, in the summer of 1956.

The big movie that year was "Picnic" It starred William Holden and Kim Novak. The theme song was "Moonglow". It became "our' song. We met at the beginning of June and we married at the end of December. So when Nanami chose it as her next song, memories of summer romance became vivid and alive.

Mike and then Jamie's solos enhanced my trip down "Memory Lane". Stayin with the lunar them the trio closed with a jumping up-tempo "What A Little Moonlight Can Do". You're telling me!!!!!


Note* The last time I was at there was several weeks ago. The owner's daughter, Sasha, was hostess that night. She asked if she coud get me a drink---or something like that. It reminded me of a poem that I wrote 30 years ago. It was for a guy I knew named Charles Cina Jr. The title was "Hey Cheech" and all the rhymed lines ended with 'something like that'. I brought Sasha a copy of the poem.








Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment