Wednesday, March 25, 2015

For A Good Time....(...call Allen Kanovsky before 6pm, as he is out the door and into the night by that time!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/25/15

...you got to have been where I was last night. A brand new, just opened, club(joint) whose sign reads "8BEAT88" and pictures a neon piano keyboard with keys moving. It's on 'toity-toid' in Fort Lauderdale Beach. 

The street is becoming the modern day 52d St. It has JAZZ clubs, BLUES joints, and a wine bar with LIVE music. French, Spanish and Italian restaurants, The only drawback is the metered parking which is operational 'til midnite.. Bring plenty of quarters. 

As I approached the entry to the "8BEAT" I hear the rumble of boogie-woogie piano softly coming from the outdoor speakers. I open the etched glass door and the sound is completely different. Horns on horns. Upright bass. Drums, front & center, Piano positioned so you can see the hands on the keys, acoustic guitar(mic'd). Felipe LaMoglia on tenor, David Leon blowing alto, Cisco Dimas playing trumpet, Keano on bari, Jamie Ousley handling the bass, Brian (2-brain) Murphy, piano, Aaron Lebos, guitar and a smiling Danny Burger at the kit. They are doing a Gary Lindsay version of Monk's "'round Midnight". 

There are three seats open at the bar. One is next to dance partner Denise Shuster. You know where I chose to sit. 

The level of musicianship is beyond any superlative I know. Each player is feeding on the level of play of another. The tune ends and Felipe says the band will take a short break. I look around the club and take note of the decor and seating. The walls are dark mahogany panels with posters of long-ago JAZZ concerts. Up front and following the arc of the stage are two rows of round tables for four. Behind them are three rows of square Hi-top-4s, which can be joined for larger groups. The bar is one step above the floor and has 18 stools around the rectangle. Off to one side is a space about 11'X11' with a polished wooden floor to accommodate dancers. 

A portly gentleman in a good looking fedora sits down at the piano. Of course, it's Piano Bob. He plays boogie-woogie piano. He also owns the joint. 

I'm taking a sip of my tall rum (well) and tonic as the rumble of Bob's left hand intones the 8 beat rhythm as his right plays the melody to "Down the Road A Piece." The aside line on the record goes 'Watch where your steppin'. That ain't second base." If you want to hear some boogie then Bob is your man. "Beat Me Daddy, 8 To the Bar" has me up and dancing with Denise. Barbara Glenn has a partner and they join us. 

On one side of the stage sits an original Hammond B3, Leslie box and all. Al Poliak (owner of The Funky Biscuit) steps on stage to sit down at it. They play, with Al doing the lyric, "Flatfoot Floogie". The song dates back to 1938. Written and recorded by Slim Gaillard and Slam Stewart. 

Outside of me and them, I don't think anyone in the joint ever heard it before. 

The duo closes the set with "Let the Good Times Roll". Let me say the 'good times are rollin' & rockin'. About 10 minutes of conversation with Denise (guess who does all the talking) then Felipe and the band return. It will be the final set.

Okay! How about they open with the be-bop national anthem, "How High the Moon" followed by a ballad, which has Nicole Henry stepping on stage to sing "All the Things You Are" followed by "There Will Never Be Another You". Nicole steps down accompanied by thunderous applause. Old time swing with "Sing, Sing, Sing" done only as today's musicians can do it---Boppin' the swing and swingin' the bop. You want musicians to be creative. K I S S - keep it simple, stupid. "C-Jam Blues", simple as it comes. But, a great tune to JAM. Yeah one by one a full chorus solo that has us all clappin' 'n 'tappin'. 8's then 4's by each and an all out shout to a rousing, full blast finish. Let's take a trip to Havana---"Oye Como Va"--just as Jackie Deering walks in. Low-cut and just above the knees. Uh-oh! Yes, I take her hand and we shake and shuffle to the Latin beat. You can't have Danny Burger on stage and not let him do a solo to "Caravan" while 'blowing up' his tom-toms. Everyone in the joint is excited by the performance. 

I spy Charlie Boyer shaking hands and congratulating Piano Bob on the opening of the new club, as the line to get into the joint extends down the block and around the corner. Of course, he did place promotion with Charlie's JAZZ & BLUES Florida online marketing machine. 

Now standing at the bar with Chuck Bergeron and Carlomagno Araya with Jim Gasio and Wendy Pederson. You like 'em tall like I do? How about Ms. Rita Wilburn doing "Rock Me Baby"----'til my back ain't got no bone'. Me and Denise are back at it. Rita steps off the stage to cut in. My head takes its usual position on her ample bosom ---------------------------------------------------- and then I woke up.

Hey, "Dreams Do Come True When You're Young At Heart!"




Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment